Custom machining for you. (Mostly Free)

yah I realized playing with super rim weighted yoyos just aren’t fun so I figured I should ad more wight to the middle.

needless to say that’s nowhere near my final design :joy:

i’m pretty happy with this

It kinda looks like the kEDGE but with the step the silenus has.

The nub is also like that in the silenus but the cup is smooth like in the kEDGE.
There are rings (idk what else I should call them) by the rims which I think adds some not-quite rim weight, which are also on the silenus

I wanted a yoyo that was comfortable and fast, like the silenus, and had a slightly higher angular velocity than the kEDGE, but also stable and slightly chunky like the kEDGE.

3 Likes

What’re your prices like? I don’t care about colours, but you can experiment with anos and whatnot with my orders if you want to. I’d be more than happy to be a guinea pig customer.

3 Likes

The prices for my work vary by what you want. For machining actual yoyo prototypes I am not charging anything right now. I have a couple people who I am working with to see if I can actually make a quality product or not yet. Until I know exactly what I can do I am only charging the supplies. I also accept yoyo / yoyo related stuff as a thank you. My collection is pretty small right now. I have about 5 yoyos. haha. Having 3 kids and two of which are in diapers still kinda eats up any spare money I have for yoyo.

If you want other stuff done like laser marking, anodizing, leather work then it is all just based on the job. Lots of people ask for different things and I just pick a number that seems fair for what they asking for and how interested I am in making it.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Ahh I never answered your question on how precise the yoyo should be made. I think the ABEC 7 standard in bearings is a 0.005 mm deviation, but how precise can you make it?

1 Like

What are you asking? How precise can I make a bearing or a yoyo? Bearing are very accurately made by companies that just make bearings. .005mm is less than .0002 inches. I can’t imagine that any of the hubs are being machined that tightly. They might have a runout in that range, but typically .002 inches is a reasonable tolerance on parts. I make parts for my day job that range from a tolerance of .01 inches to .0005 tolerances. But it really depends on what the part is and the process I am making it.

I dont know what tolerance I can hold a yoyo design to. That is the whole point of me testing can I do it. I know on the milling machine it will be less accurate for runout then a lathe would. But until January I wont have access to a cnc lathe. Also, I am gonna have to learn how to program and run that machine as well.

Sorry I can’t tell you a better answer. Just for referance a human hair is about .05mm thick. So that bearing is 10x more accurate.

Josh

5 Likes

I think he was talking about the bearing post, like to make it loose or tight.

1 Like

I have some yoyo model ideas I’d like to tryout. What materials do you have on hand? :muscle:

2 Likes

For example, a wide boy:

6 Likes

I do a lot with 6061 and 7075. But I also work with stainless steels too. I have not done much with titanium yet.

Josh

3 Likes

That’s excellent. I mostly design with 6061 in mind. :+1:

1 Like

So what’s your process in machining a yoyo? What do you use for the cup? What about the bearing seat and axle? (oof i meant to ask this but forgot the question) :thinking:

What do you say, would you be up to try making the pink wide one and if so, what models etc would I need to send to you?

1 Like

I have a couple people who I am currently working with to prototype their designs. Until I finish those and see how it turns out I am not accepting any more designs.

6 Likes

Sure thing. Please do keep us updated about your progress and whatnot. Great to see machinists here.

3 Likes

Could you post updates on how your current projects are going? I think having insight on those will help me get a better idea of how mine should go about :smiley:

2 Likes

I made a new thread to document my progress on making a single design start to finish.

4 Likes

Ok I got a question has anyone here tried putting a fidget spinner bearing in a yoyo?

1 Like

They should be the same exact dimensions. A regular C bearing is a model r188 bearing.

1 Like

Good to know thanks

1 Like