Cubing Corner

As I learn this skill I found myself amazed yesterday when I realized that even though my solve times are between 2 and 4 minutes, I’ve completely lost the “fear” of the cube. It’s no longer a case of “How can anyone solve this?” It’s now “Oh rats, I messed up my last layer, now I have to fix that.”

I would not have thought that I could go from confusion to confidence (even at this low level) in a week.

Also, I got a 1:44 this morning. Followed by a 2:06 followed by a 4:07 (oops)

Yo, I can solve but my record is pretty bad at two minuets

So far : 57 solves with an average of 2:28

I think sub 1:30 is only about 400 or 500 solves away ;D

My algorithm memorization is getting more solid but I’m messing up my finger motions and locking the cube. My cube is a pretty good one (I’m using a MoFang JiaoShi MF3RS which is easily good enough for a beginner) so it’s not the cube’s fault. My twist aren’t very accurate yet. Also, I’m fumbling a lot with my front face moves such as when I move a top center edge to left center: U’ L’ U L F’ L F L’ I think I just need to sit and practice front and side face finger tricks.

Less than 2 weeks in and I’m starting to clear the 2 minute mark using the beginner method more consistently. I just had a 1:33 and then I did a solve where I completely messed up my cross and had to go back and still got a 1:55.

I know these times are embarrassingly slow. But for less than 2 weeks in I’m having a blast learning this and it’s so cool to see my times slowly getting faster.

Today I’ve made big progress. Still using the beginner’s method but my goal was to average less than 1:30.

Today’s times:

Average of 5 1:24.82
Average of 12 1:27.81
New Personal Best 1:02.79

Bout time!

Nicely done.  I can’t even imagine being that fast.  Good job!

thanks!

Anybody solve other puzzles than 2x2 and 3x3? I love Pyraminx and Square-1!

This weekend I’ve made a commitment to switch from beginner’s method [Cross, Corners, 2nd Layer edges] to CFOP [cross, F2L pair up and insert]. My times are way slower but that’s to be expected. I expect to be back to 1 minute 20 or less by the end of the week. After that I’m really expecting to be able to get below one minute by the end of the month.

I have 6 of the 7 Two Look OLL algs memorized and my last layer is getting faster and faster. I find I’m losing most of my time in the Cross and F2L. More practice is needed. ;D

Pineapple: I remember you saying that cubers solve tens of thousands of times in practice. I’m now starting to see how easily that can be true. ;D

It’s been a while. I think I’m going to start getting back into it. This first day’s been pretty bad, but I’m starting to do well again. Got a 15.64 avg of 5. Not sure if that is my record or not.

That’s incredibly good. I’m looking forward to having an Ao5 under a minute. :wink:

Still trying, still practicing. I’m sneaking up on sub 60 second solves. I’m still spending way too much time on the cross and F2L. But it is getting better and I’m recognizing cases better.

I finally got an average of 5 of sub 1 minute and a PB of 47.90.

I’m surprised that this thread seems to have died off. This thread and you guys were the inspiration for me to get started in cubing. Pineapple was especially inspiring.

Thank you and I’ll keep you up to date on my progress.

I have a 4x4, 5x5, pyraminx, and a Megaminx. I prefer the 5x5 and Megaminx as my secondary puzzles. For some reason, I’m not as fascinated by even numbered cubes. The 5x5 is really fun. The megaminx is confusing as anything. I need to get a Square-1.

Its been a long time since I posted here.
7.56 ao5
8.01 ao12
9.32 ao100
still no sub 11 average officially though :-\

New 3x3 PB of 36.6

Considering it was just a few months ago I was trying to beat a 1 minute time this is pretty good.

I use my Weilong gts 2 and I get around 35 seconds I’m so slow. :slight_smile:

Just got a GAI 356 Air SM

2 Likes

And just started cubing :sunglasses: