cons of hand winding your string

so i was reading some topics about thers haveing trouble to do snap starts.
some responses sais things like “refusee to hand wind your string” and “break you non-dominant hand so you won’t be able to bind”
i was just wondering y is it so bad to hand wind your yoyo’s?

it takes too much time and in competitions they deduct points.

No, they don’t. They deduct points whenever you have to restart the yoyo, either by winding or any sort of start, unless you’ve stopped it on purpose (like in Stop N Go.)

The only problem is that it takes time and looks a bit unprofessional. If I make a mistake when yoyoing in front of people who don’t yoyo, and I do a palm start, they think its really cool.

In a contest, you can also waste some time manually winding as well.

oh i thought it does something bad to your string

okay, well, what if he has to restart it? and he winds it? you pretty much spoke for yourself there.

Well he has to get it going somehow. He will lose the same amounts of points no matter what. Should we say that hand-starting is a bad idea because judges deduct points for it. Might as well play with a dead yoyo when your yoyo stops spinning.

no but at least its faster and looks better. it also proves a bit more of skill you have.

I think when you actually wind up the yoyo. It wastes time to your freestyle rountine. Other than starting the yoyo.

1 Like

i’m not to worried about routine time since i don’t enter contests…YET. well thnx guys i’ll learn to snap start anyways

Also, constant winding and rewinding can really really mess up the tension and useful life of the string.