Competitive Throws - 2020 Honest Talk

From what ive seen this is what the winners all do. Find what works and practice it tons. You might come across a yoyo that might do it better, but I think minimizing time on variation will allow for the best improvement. Hell, even Gentry modified his yoyo enough to release his competition model, the one that recently won worlds. But when it comes down to it, the nuances in his change are subtle enough that you might not even notice (I got both). I think both Gentry and Evan are players to look at who gradually and mildly changed their yoyos to get an edge and win. Width and weight distribution on an established base yoyo are the two factors they most considered; probably an idea worth considering.

2 Likes

How do you not own any competition throws? Like none at all? It seems like most yoyo that aren’t fixed axle or higher wall organic are classified as “competition”.

So true.

As a musician and audio engineer, whenever I think about “competition yoyos”, I think of a saying I see all the time in the music/audio world.

“Ear over gear”

Which basically means, what you do with your gear/how you use it is more important than the gear itself. For example, a great musician should still be able to make great music using a cheap instrument. And I’d trust Bruce Swedien (RIP) to mix a record in a cheap home studio before I’d trust some dude who just learned Pro Tools with access to a multi-million dollar studio. And as a jazz drummer, I’d rather play on a cheap drum kit and know exactly what to play/serve the music over not knowing what to play but using a $10k drum kit. It’s not the gear being used, but rather who is using it.

Jensen winning worlds in 2010 using a Northstar and Gentry’s wins on the Replay are the closest thing in the yoyo world that come to mind when I think of that phrase.

8 Likes

i own a iceberg,chezch piont pivot,shutter,cannon,atlas,skyva would you consider those comp??? @nightshadow

The Shutter and Atlas have both been used to win world championships!

2 Likes

Oh definitely. I think all of them but the Skyva are really solid competition throws! Great collection man.

2 Likes

i am hoping to get 5 for xmas,then i will start a new thread called what is in your yoyo collection after xmas @nightshadow

3 Likes