Coloring printed counterweights

Has anyone colored or dyed a 3d printed counterweight?

I have a white and a clear 3d printed counterweights that I really like for shape, weight, size and feel, and I can’t get this kind of counterweight in a different color, so I’m thinking about coloring them, because i have several yoyos that would go well with a blue or orange counterweight. I don’t want to make them look terrible, so I’m wondering if anyone has tried anything to add color to a counterweight? I was thinking probably a permanent marker would work; my daughter got a set of sharpies in something like 32 or 64 colors.

3D printed counterweights are fine to take all purpose dyes. Porykon has dyed several of their 3D printed models. Just look up any guide for dying yoyos and you should be good to go.

I wouldn’t recommend permanent markers unless you planned on sealing them, but that introduces even more issues. If you don’t seal them they’ll just rub off on your hands and you’ll end up with permanent marker everywhere.

1 Like

I tried Edings (permanent markers) on my prints but they got sticky. I think it depends if you use PLA or ABS if dye works. I also had a matt white PLA that worked very well with simple pantone markers that are meant for paper. So try…

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the material is; they are Airetic Flex CWs. They’re just barely a little squishy. I do happen to have some Rit dye in primary colors, so I could use that.

It is probably TPU, TPE, TPC, PEBA when it is “soft”.