Coca Cola & Duncan Yo-Yo Demonstrators

Hey there Yo-Yo World,

This is my first post after spending more than a decade away from the yo-yoing world.

Recently I have been building up a collection of Coca Cola Russell Yo-Yos from the 70s and 80s. And as i dive deeper into the research of the craze and events that transpired around the world in the 80s, I can’t help but notice that the Yo-Yo demonstrators wore red jackets, similar to that of the trademark Duncan demonstrators of the past. I would like to know if there is any significance of the red jackets in Yo-Yo demonstration heritage, or did the Coca Coca company tried to emulate the Duncan colours? Or could it possibly be that many of these demonstrators were in fact Duncan demonstrators?

Just a quick thought and just hoping if anyone would know a thing or two! Former Duncan Crew member here from Singapore, hoping to reconnect with old friends!

Peace & love,
Ian Poh

9 Likes

I don’t have any first hand experience other than remembering the red jacket from a yoyo demonstrator that came by our high school during the early 90s boom happening while I lived in Hong Kong. I don’t even really remember the demonstration other than leaving in awe and wanting to grow up to be that guy

2 Likes

Welcome back to Yoyo! I’m glad you’ve returned!

2 Likes

@YOHANS @yyfben2.deactivated These fellas may have info regarding this.

2 Likes

Jack Russel was a Duncan demonstrator up until 1958. But the red jacket is obviously Coke color.

5 Likes

The first Coca Cola promotions were also run by Jack Russell (the person) for Duncan.

Arguably more people (wore) saw the Russell red jacket and Duncan kinda disregarded its heritage for a good 30+ years so I’m not sure who I would consider it trademark too at this stage.

5 Likes

Thanks for the response! Stoked to be hearing from you again. I count being part of the phenomenal ProYo promotion in Singapore & Malaysia one of the highlights of my life. Thanks for making me believe that “I can do it too!”, it’s what many kids like me at that time needed to hear :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interesting! But i think the laymen registered the red jackets more with Coca Cola too, at least here in Singapore, it’s made a lasting impression towards my uncles who were from that era. They always mentioned the “masters in red”. I do wonder how many of them are still around and throwing.

Just like i said to sir Hans, stoked to be hearing from you too, will never forget your hawaii shirts, straw-hat, sideways braintwister combo and your millencollin “story of my life” freestyle in 1998. Those were great times.

3 Likes

thank you! such a different involvement in the world of yoyos now as compared to the glory days from yesterdecade! but still great to see so much changes!

1 Like

too bad i wasnt old enough to experience the craze in the 80s in Singapore. But according to my uncles, it was a huge explosion that went on for years through the 80s! They said it helped boost sales and crowds at eating establishments that sold coke products and yoyos. I can imagine it was the same in HK too!

2 Likes