clyw scout thoughts?

This is what happens when making a signature yoyo. We have a number of great versions of the Markmont Classic. All of them are awesome in their own right and perfect to sell, but they weren’t exactly what Mark wanted. Player yoyos get revisions based on the preference of the player, not necessarily on if there is anything “wrong” with the yoyo.

I have tried this version of the Scout and it’s really good. While the profile looks similar to a Chief, it doesn’t play like one. Most of the weight distribution of a yoyo is hidden, but those hidden things affect the play much more than the look of the profile (even though most tend to judge a yoyo on the profile shape).

It’s what Petr wanted and we supported him on this decision as it was a nice blend of all of our favorite throws. There’s even a little bit of BvM2 in there.

We’re pretty excited about the Scout, it’s going to be a great addition to our new 2015 line up.

1 Like

Thought I saw on the ask.fm page that there would be a Nickel Scout, is that going to be released in this first batch?

If it is going to have the face of the bvm2 and the nub of the bonfire will it still have the chiefs double rim?

Is this the version you had in Orlando at IYYC Chris? If so, it played really good.

I like the Bonfire, but I’ve never been a huge fan of extreme V’s. This looks like a nice in-between.

I’ll definitely be snatching up a black Advance Scout.

Exactly the same!

We’ll save that for the production run.

It’s going to have more of the rim weight distribution of the BvM2. For the production run we made the inner rim look less Chief like. Almost like the BvM2, but still more of an edge. Steve had a hard time telling the difference with the CAD. It’s really subtle, but will help make it less Chief like as far as looks go.

1 Like

I’ve always been a fan of 67-70 gram yoyos, so to see something like this coming from CLYW is just awesome. And as someone who likes the double wall signature of Caribou Lodge, I’m going to give Links a battle for one of the black ones. Plus, my fiancée’s black cat is named Scout, so this is pretty much a done deal. Chris, why don’t I give you my checking account number and you can just take the money out directly. :wink:

3 Likes

Honestly. I scrolled past that post on YYN 5-10 times thinking that they were just making solid color chiefs again never bothering to click on the post lololol.

Aren’t you the 2sick owner? pretty low

Joey never has anything nice to say about CLYW. Its all hyped up BS to him, probably simply because other people like it, which makes it less cool. And he’s gotta let everyone know that whenever they put out something new.

Gotta give the man credit for being true to what he has always said, though. Before he released his yoyo and had a company, this was his opinion (misguided or not is a matter for debate). It’s not like having a company should make him suddenly say, “Way to go guys, love what you do!” It would be pretty BS to do something like that. I also don’t see why it’s so taboo… plenty of competitors all over the world, whether in politics, athletics, or retail endeavours don’t have gleaming things to say about their competitors; and at least he’s not overtly pushing his brand as the one to buy instead; he’s simply saying, “Oh boy. Here we go again” as a reaction to a pattern he’s not all that fond of. It’s not the end of the world and not a huge breach of etiquette.

I like what Steve said (here or on FB? Lost track already), though… since when did promoting a product become a bad thing? CLYW announced the impending availability, and if the fans decide to talk about it, great. It’s not like any company is doing anything bad… at ALL… by talking about their product. It would be weird for them to NOT talk about it.

I enjoy CLYW. I think the Scout looks interesting enough, even if it borrows heavily from the Chief and others. I personally see enough significant differences to make it unique, though I also understand why on first blush people might not spot them. I personally don’t like the weight, but that’s just me. We’ll see what Petr settled on for the final version when it drops!

And samcordell’s post is exactly what I was talking about last time he got all angry over people wanting a CLYW yoyo. You’re representing a company, while you’re on here bashing the shit out of a staple in the yoyo community.

Other people on Deadly Spins actually offered to send me Wraths to try out simply because I mentioned I wouldn’t pick up one of their yoyos with you out there representing them. You make whomever you are associated with look terrible. Looks like you’re well on the way to doing the same thing with 2Sick!

Ah. Silly fanboys. I’ll admit I have a few of their throws. But the ones I have aren’t very hyped, aside from the Summit, which intrigued me due to the fact it fits almost any play style; and as a young thrower, I hadnt developed a style yet so it seemed like a good career move. I also have both puffin types as well as a fools gold Avalanche. The Puffin 1 was bought on yoyoexpert last June/July and the Summit was bought two weeks later. My next throw was a G Squared Quake with their first release here on yye. Then a benchmark H and Yelets for Christmas. Then the Y factor for Easter, puffin 2 for eighth grade graduation, and a fg avalanche 1-2 months later for the bang for the buck. I’ve branched out as best I can but I still have several CLYW throws because they are good yoyos and look good. I am by no means a fan boy. If I were to patronize a company it would probably be one drop because of their US machinery and awesome availability to the public. I do love the country of Canada so it’s a toughie though :wink:

Let’s be honest, after the MarkMont Classic, even CLYW hype/build-up is absolutely inconsequential. I don’t know why but man that 12 months or eternity or however long the MMC hype lasted was one of the worst things i’ve seen in the yoyo community. Just silly.

I can no longer seem to find Yoyodoc’s post in this thread where he corrected me (looks like he removed it/it was removed), but I was indeed mistaken. Yoyodoc himself was the one who hand-modded his Cliff to solve the discomfort issue:

Apologies for the misinformation. :slight_smile:

I removed my post; until I found those images to support the text. I saw a few errors in my review. I was on my IPad and didn’t have time to fiddle with the text or look for the images; so I thought it best to repost once I got things ‘aligned’.

Now that you have pulled up the Original Cliff Experiment; my repost would not serve any real additional purpose.

Thanks for finding/posting.

I ‘do’ cut stuff up, now and then, lol.

But Never just to do it. Always to see what will happen.

1 Like

12 months, Nathan? Hyperbole much? I enjoyed the whole marketing exercise behind the Markmont Classic. I think there are a few people who would agree with you, but there were hordes of people who enjoyed what Mark did with his yoyo’s hype and didn’t take it personally that a company wanted to generate excitement about their product. :wink:

By electing yourself as the hype police, I think you are finding problems you don’t need to and inviting more negative energy into your life than is warranted… it’s just a company’s ad campaign!

2 Likes