Cheapo bearing, expensive yoyo - Expensive bearing, Cheapo yoyo -

1 Like

I have a question-What’s wrong with a Benchmark? Why is it being considered a cheapo yoyo? IMO, and also, according to One Drop, its manufactured to the same standards as other ODs, so shouldn’t it be considered a high-quality yoyo?

I would definitely rather go with the benchmark. Great yoyo and great bearing, seems like a pretty cut and dry question to me.

Seems like any great or good player can be amazing with even the simplest of yo-yo’s. I saw a video of a guy doing some pretty sick stuff with a Duncan Throw Monkey, yes a throw monkey ($17.99). Look at all the flack the DM2 gets, but watch Andre, he is sick as all get with it. So anybody good will be able to work with it as long as the bearing plays unresponsive.

However, if you have a responsive bearing, everything from a YYF Ricochet, to a Bonfire is gonna bounce back to your hand. So in this case, even a pro can’t play as good as his potential with it.

Easy question hands down, great yoyo with a great bearing id take any day, assuming I couldn’t ever swap out the bearings.However I think we would all take the better more expensive yoyo, and invest the money into a new bearing for it if the question said we could, however it didn’t…that also is just another cut, dry and obvious answer.

Very interesting question here B.C. Your direct question was, “which one will play better?” Trouble is, in order to answer which would play “better,” the answer would depend on a lot more facts than what was offered in the hypothetical. When I compare playing two yo-yos, it’s based on more than the bearing, response, and whether it’s loud or vibes. It has a lot to do with it’s size, shape, speed, spin time, stability, what I am using it for, and so many other factors. So, to compare two yo-yos based on the limited information provided, would only be a guess, even for someone who actually has played both yo-yos to fill in the missing information. In my case, I’ve played them both, but I still think the hypothetical could be fleshed out more. For example, exactly how responsive is this Bonfire? What style am I playing with these yo-yos, and is it for fun or competition? How much vibe? That responsive bearing might not be an issue.

A few people seemed distracted by the fact that realistically, you would just swap out problem parts like bearings. I might rush to guess that I’d rather not play a responsive yo-yo that is loud or vibes (I guess “crunchy” means that.) But, on the other hand, I play semi-responsive now, and I’m not particularly bothered by some sound or some vibe. Someone who plays semi-responsive, who doesn’t mind vibe and sound, but prefers the shape and other features of the Bonfire, and just playing at home might pick that one. If I’m just having fun, I might choose Bonfire. If I was competing, which I never do, I might choose Benchmark to get more sleep time.

So, to answer the direct question, which will play better? Play better for what purpose, and for what style? A beginner might love that Bonfire. I have insufficient facts to draw a clear conclusion. But, because you clearly want us to consider the expense of the yo-yos too…I’ll do that. I may not mind crunch or response on a yo-yo valued at more than twice the cost of the other yo-yo. If we presume both are in the same cosmetic condition…not sure which plays better, until more details are in, but give me the Bonfire. It’s worth a bit more!

The TotalArtist files an abstention due to insufficient facts. :smiley: Nice question B.C. :wink:

Freestyle off the top…in a zone:

The Bonfire I’m choosing,
The Benchmark is losing,
It’s not just the cost,
I don’t mind response,
Or a little bit of vibe,
I put all that aside,
It’s the fun it provides.
I’m using that as a guide.
T.A.

1 Like

^ What she said…/rapped. bops head

Really, the bearing is the part of the yoyo doing all the work. The bearing is the moving part, and is reponsible for the continuing spin and momentum of the yoyo. Whilst a sensational bearing doesn’t provide that much of a tangible difference over a decent cheap one, a rubbish bearing can have quite a dramatic effect.

The bearing (a Dif-E-Yo KK) in my Gleipnir gave out a few months ago. Like, it completely screwed up to the point where cleaning did nothing. It was crunchy, grindy, and sounded like a heavy metal band going through a shredder.

Because of it, the performance of the Gleipnir was wrecked. It turned a notoriously stable and well performing yoyo into one that could be out-span easily by a Speedaholic or Onestar.

A crap bearing can ruin a perfectly good yoyo. Hence why if I was not permitted to swap out the bearing in the Bonfire (for some reason), I would obviously choose the Benchmark. I mean I have a Bonfire anyway, so I’d choose the Benchmark regardless.

I think the main problem here is that the “cheapo” yoyo is one of the best made and best performing budget metals ever made. If you were comparing the Bonfire to a Magicyoyo or something, then maybe it would make for more interesting discussion, but price aside, the performance of both of the choices are pretty on par.

At any rate, I once again motion to have the word “best” and “better” banned from these forums. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yup. With yoyo, as with many other things, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. This is why it’s troubling when new players blame the yoyo as a whole on an issue spawning from solely the bearing, string, or response.

I’m also a proponent for encouraging TA to maintain a strict rap-to-post ratio, whatsayyou… 100%?

1 Like

Motion carried. Greg… drop us a beat.

Droppin’ it as we speak. And as I type. Can you hear it?

I heard it.

Now hold your throws in the air,
And wave them like you just don’t care,

And if you want more rhymes,
To read in here next time,

Everybody say…Oh yeah!! :smiley:

Oh yea :smiley:

1 Like

Encore…okay, back in a zone.

BC asked the question,
So I’ll write a little something,
On what’s the better throw,
But, you already know,
It’s what you enjoy,
And your preference in toys,
Even when bearings are dirty,
The throws are still worthy,
To be played, or collected,
No matter what’s selected,
I really hate to choose sides,
And, Benchmarks are nice, but
I’ll take the Bonfire, it can still be played,
And the greatest return, on the buy sell trade.
T.A.

Now, back to regularly scheduled programming. :wink: Unless I get back “in a zone.” :smiley:

^Oh yea encour :smiley: :smiley:

LOL this thread should be renamed “TA’s Rap Thread”

Haha. On the bright side, they were on topic. :smiley:

Yeah hey were. Thats what made them funny. Rapping about yoyo’s

Hey hold up now, why the Benchmark shame?
It’s a standard for all, it’s there in the name.
Is everyone thinkin’ it’s made out of wood?
Them Oregon boys are the best in the hood.
They’ve got great designs, those crafty Canucks,
Splash on pretty colors, and charge you big bucks.
But who to machine them, who do they call?
One Drop is there, making yo-yos for all.

Still think that to win you need lots of money?
Here’s somethin’ that happened, it’s still pretty funny.
A kid called Jensen took his 30 dollars,
And won himself Worlds, to hoots and hollers.
His tool was just plastic, and the weight in a ring.
But the bearing was special, it centered your string.
So the moral is this, you don’t need the big bills,
You can play on the cheap, if you got the skills.

1 Like

We got a battle going on here!

Gotta give the point to bdjansen Total, although it is close, your rhymes were pretty tight!

Pretty good rap there.

This needed to be said.

No offense, but a hip hop battle, is a hip hop battle. :wink:

Talking Northstar and Jensen, man, you have to stop it,
Anything but Benchmarks and Bonfire, is all off topic,
It’s not about the bucks, it’s about what you like,
But why hate on money…unless yours isn’t right,
Them boys in Oregon, they cool, but just understand,
Count CLYW followers on their Instagram,
It’s not about their equipment, it’s about the fans,
It’s all about enrichment, and shaking some hands,
You called a Benchmark “cheap,” when it’s inexpensive,
I don’t have to talk up a Bonfire and get all defensive.
You started on topic and Benchmark was a focus,
But you switched to Yoyofactory, thought I wouldn’t notice?
So, to battle me, please man, you better not,
Cause my rhymes will be better than whatever you got.
We’re talking about two throws, metal with bearings and things,
Not wood and plastic, with some metal for rings.
We don’t need big bills…yeah, stick to the lie,
Cause my rap game is ill, throw rich 'til I die. :smiley:
Don’t hate on a dollar, unless you’re poor,
I’ll put a benchmark in your hand, then I’ll show you the door.
Remember it’s worthless, to kick a rhyme with no purpose,
I chose the Bonfire, Benchmark’s just not worth it.
Benchmarks were nice, until it was on,
And a dude appeared here to battle me in a song.
Now I’m screaming Bonfire to the top of my lungs,
It costs more, plays better, so the topic was done.
I just took my Benchmark, despite the money I spent,
Hurled it on purpose, 'til it smacked the cement,
If you want to be thrifty, go ahead and pay the 60,
Leaves much to be desired, so I copped a Bonfire.
In here talking about some wood and plastics,
Hating on my money just cause you can’t have it.
Did this guy just come in here and enter a battle,
Now we’re all tuned in to see the story unravel.
If he ever think of getting to me, battling or dissing me,
I’ll turn him into a yoyowiki, basically…he’s history.

T.A.

In Mortal Kombat voice “Finish Him!”

Check out this and get back on topic.

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php?topic=73350

I should have addressed the benchmark as “cheaper than the bonfire.”