Captain Yo

Tom Kuhn insta telling me Don Watson has passed. Sigh.

13 Likes

So many losses in the community recently.

I was just re-reading his yo-yo physics zines the other day.

11 Likes

He had an awesome, long life, and he will be missed. I still have several of his science docs and use them in my Yo-Yo Physics unit at school. :raised_hands:t3:

11 Likes

Wish I met him.

6 Likes

Wow.

I just found out about him last year. Loved his yoyo physics documents. Very impressive; All done by Hand!!!

I still say we get him nominated and inducted to the Yoyo Hall of Fame!

Prayers to his family and friends.

3 Likes

Years ago he was presented with the Harvey Lowe Lifetime Achievement Award.

That’s about as good as it gets…

Captain Yo>

I had not touched base with Don for years. But I do remember well over 20 years ago, that the day I met him it was like I already knew him on a scale of intelligence, the Captain could certainly run circles around me. But he was so interested in my yo-yo customizing so many years ago that he bumped down his genius to communicate at my level. He never once attempted to intimidate me with his knowledge of yo-yo physics. He was just a genuine person with a heart of Gold.

His energy and his enthusiasm and his overall obsession with people around him being happy and more knowledgeable about spinning objects was second to none.

… he had such an engaging smile, such a quick wit and very articulate communication skills.

I am 73 and I’ve obviously been around the block a few times. I don’t know much about phrase origins. But over the decades, I have heard people in reaction to the deeds of another, mention , ‘Sir, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar’.

In all honesty, I haven’t the slightest idea where that phrase originated?
… but if I had to take an educated guess, without reservation, I would say the person who originally uttered that was speaking to Don Watson.

…. And that certainly sounds like a good guess to me.
All who knew Don, admired and respected him, and held him in high esteem.

It’s been said, that everybody has a double somewhere in the world. a duplicate, a doppelgänger… Somebody just like you.
Well, hate to make a dent in that theory, but Don Watson was one of a kind.

It was an honor to me that we were friends .
RIP 

4 Likes

I met him at Nats one year. He was running the Tom Kuhn table. I learned all there was to know about turbo discs that day. He was throwing a red custom reactor with turbo discs that he custom punched. What A guy.

4 Likes

AND he was a snappy dresser! Just saw this, a sad day.

3 Likes