Cake’s String Reviews

day 5! posting this early since i need to study up over the weekend, going into my finals. last one!

Throw-Yo SOLUTIONS Solvent || C- (73/100)

This is a weird little guy. Comes off a bit rough, but feels SUPER thick. My best comparison is a playable version of Rope. It’s definitely functional, but the trend with these strings is that the quality slacks and interesting whips get overshadowed by how awkward they feel on a catch, a bind, and my fingers. Slacks were great! Due to the tight wind, slacks were very frozen. However, this also froze a bit of tension in the slack during the trick. These features kind of cancelled each other out, ending up with a slightly fast slack with two quirks. Whips were a good speed, definitely on the faster side though. The thickness gives a different feel during hooks, which is just too fat for me. Again, playable rope.

Speaking of too thick, binds are incredibly snappy, being arguably worse than the last strings I reviewed. It’s only in undermount binds with my palm up, but the yoyo comes back with loose string at the very end and a super tight bind around the bearing. Very weird, and I’m not knowledgeable enough to comment on how that affects power. Regardless, tension holding and consistency were surprisingly pleasant, which is good to see. However, I don’t think those alone can save the string’s score. It’s too awkward feeling and almost fuzzy, both in physical feel and vibe (I know that means nothing, but the string has a fuzzy kind of vibe to me).

I’m not gonna lie to you all, the entire experience with these strings was a constant “i’m sure i’ll prefer the next one” that never really came. The trends with this brand is that they’re INCREDIBLY tightly wound, very thick-feeling, fast on whips and hit-or-miss on slacks. Binds and softness are a no go. All 4 of the main strings (rope doesn’t count because i say so) felt like ordering someone’s super specific order at a restaurant with a billion customizations, VERY specific and fit towards an unknown taste that I can’t pinpoint. I hope this streak of reviews helped gain some traction for this brand. The effort that goes into making these is not unnoticed, bur they’ll remain unwanted in my personal rotation. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (5)
Durability 1 hr (4.5)
Personal Thickness Feel (1.5)
Whip Feel Break-In (3.5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (4)
Slack Feel Break-In (4)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (4)
Softness during break-in (3)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (3)
Total: 36.5 x 2 = 73, 73 = C- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

thanks again to @rkalajian for taking a chance on me and my silly little rants i call reviews, as long as one person out there is more informed because of these ill call it worthwhile :smiling_face:

8 Likes