Cake’s String Reviews

week 3 let’s do it

Throw-Yo SOLUTIONS Elixir || C (75/100)

I have no idea how to start this one, so I’m just going to type things off the top of my head. This is virtually indestructible, and in comparison to the last reviewed one (Ink), this feels way more playable. It has a VERY TIGHT WIND, which makes it actually really difficult to string it onto the yoyo. Binds also suffer from tightwind-itis, which makes binds snappy while minimizing snags. It actually feels a bit like the pads are bigger but only when binding.

Playing this is a beast. Whips are still incredibly fast, but it’s more controllable in comparison to the rayon blend. It’s a bit faster than MarkMont trilobal, I’d say (which is impressive). The string is so tight that if you bend a super small segment it’ll fall but stay somewhat frozen in the shape. This feature kind of wants to come out in slacks (especially 3d slacks tricks), but somewhat fails to do so due to its natural speed. It’s visible in 1.0 and 1.5 suicides, but not much else I could find.

Tension holding was really good, I’m pleasantly surprised by it. It’s a bit of a hassle to fix via sidewinders, and it whipped me hard a few times. Given the durability, it keeps its roughness throughout the hour and realistically WAY more. Consistency is sort of a mess: binds/whips/slacks all feel foreign, which may be due to my lack of trilobal use (I use alphaline as my bulk of choice, which is on like 70% of yo-yos i own). As far as I know, the consistency is average. Overall, good! Depending on color and price I might pick up some more for outdoor throws, but it’s still a toss up. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (6)
Durability 1 hr (6)
Personal Thickness Feel (4) kinda thin feeling but good!
Whip Feel Break-In (3)
Whip Feel 1 hr (3)
Slack Feel Break-In (3.5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (3.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (4)
Softness during break-in (2)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (2.5)
Total: 37.5 x 2 = 75, 75 = C graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

9 Likes