BST Etiquette

So what are the ages that are giving people hard times. I mean I understand that five year olds might not be aware of how to falicitate BST deal, but I’m sure that’s not the situation of most people your talkin bout. I’ve had some interest in BST throws, but its hard when an adult thinks that there uber-dinged throw is worth as much as my mint one. Seems like people my age (16-18) are getting a bad rap. Were only hearing one side of this story. Not all kids/teens have bad manners and sweeping generalizations about an age group aren’t cool. I do feel that more than just age is the problem. Age is an easy scapegoat though. The real problem seems to be that people in general haven’t looked at the BST rules or procedures, and thus don’t know how to pull of the trade without angering fellow traders. If there were selected readings that had to read before BST rights are given, that would make things alot easier.

You guys will see that I have zero feedback, and zero trades. Not because I’ve never been on BST. I’ve had plenty of potential trades go by the wayside. Except for Jbritter. He was nice and pleasure to barter with.

Just as an fyi, age is not one of the criteria we are looking at.

I have never dealt with the BST because it is risky. You can’t tame that beast in my opinion wether or not you have people read rules and take quizzes. But maybe I’m wrong, I just don’t know. I do however feel it is a good learning experience and feedback is a key.

I feel the only way to properly ensure close to great satisfaction in the BST is to offer an “insurance” or mediator option, where for a fee YYE becomes a middle man in the trade. If I owned the company however, I would probably be very hesitant to do it unless it was worked out perfect and still then would probably let the BST beast be what it is.

I figure this, if YYE could offer a mediator fee and have both parties go through them first you would ensure timely delivery.

Ex… You want a trade with someone, it sounds like their young and immature or how bout old and bossy. You have an option where you tell that person, I’ll do the trade but I want to pay for the insurance to ensure a safe positive trade. Both parties agree. YYE charges them 5,10 $15 bucks (remember pepos, all guesses and estimates here now) plus additional shipping to be the mediator.
Here is how it works…

Parties send money and yoyo’s to YYE. Once both items have arrived, transaction is confirmed by both parties, if not, both money and yoyo are sent back to the parties. If transaction is confirmed items are then shipped to trading parties to complete the deal. This is why additional shipping on top of mediator fee needs to be charged.

If paying by paypal, then once the yoyo being bought arrives at YYE and is confirmed, YYE doesn’t send it out untill paypal payment has been confirmed.

If either party backs out prematurely for whatever reason, they pay the mediator fee. In disclaimer YYE must also state they are in no way responsible for lost items they send out, nor are responsible for terms of agreement in regards to condition. Unless blatant misrepresentation has been given. “We simply hold items and disperse them when both parties have meet their end of the bargain”

After 1week if one or both parties have not met the terms of the agreement then the item or items are sent back. And YYE can leave feedback, which is much more reliable and validated feedback than user feedback. (Of course a lot of you leave good feedback, but the community as a whole will always trust YYE feedback.)

It’s risky for YYE, lots of kinks to work out, but might open another market for them, adding to profits. It also offers a no complaint way to trade on the BST.

I’ve been having similar issues trying to sell a car haha. Certainly nothing as bad as a kid saying their parents won’t let them, but the stakes are a little higher with a car. I’ve had 3 people offer me less than half my asking price, 4 people say they want to pay with PayPal, and 3 people that want to pay me month by month.

im 13 here and I try to make sure everything is very clear and responsible with trading. I have low feedback but have no problem shipping first if the other person has respectable feedback. I personally ship in the flat rate boxes with tracking. take the yoyo apart and wrap it in bubble wrap or a paper towel put bearing/axel in a bag and send it. Ive only had good experinces with trading and seeing how im young I see why some people would be weary of trading with me. I tell my parents ive made a deal discuss when I can ship with them then let the other person know. If everyone could just be responsible we wouldn’t have such big problems.

I seriously think some kind of BSt test should be in order maybe for the name it could be some obscure color like green to say you can use the BST saying you past the test that has some kind of whitelist on it so the mods know you pass the test. The color of the name kind of acts like a license so the person you trading with is trustworthy.

Wouldn’t mind seeing the 30 days 30 posts rule come into play

2 Likes

Reading and signing an agreement is meaningless. A few would read it out of curiosity but most would click through it and check the agree box, just like they do with the ubiquitous software EULA.

Did you forget about that OP you thanked?

This thread is definitely taking shots at younger people. Were not all bad.

Answer to all this??

Facebook bst. No baby stuff there.

The vast majority of BST deals gone wrong are in large part due to the laziness and naivety of the person that winds up unhappy in a deal whether it be because they got ripped trading with someone that had very low or questionable feedback, because they took someone at their word that a yoyo was “near mint” without actually seeing sufficient pictures of the item or something else that they could have ironed out before sending their money/yoyo and receiving either nothing or something other than what they expected.

In a perfect world nobody would rip anyone off and everything would be represented in such a way that both parties know exactly what the other is getting. That isn’t the world we live in, so people should do their absolute best to enter into deals with people who are upstanding, and only after they have done their best to be sure of what they are receiving because even an upstanding person may have a different opinion of what “a scuff and pinprick” look like compared to you.

Entirely false. You would know that I posted it there as well had you not blocked me. That kind of immature behavior is what I’m talking about, not just specifically attacking younger age groups.

I wouldn’t mind seeing these numbers doubled or tripled. 90 days 90 posts. 180 days 180 posts even to unlock the BST.

While people may read “terms and conditions” and click on “I agree” to move on, if they have to take a quiz and pass in addition, it will require more effort to cheat. And, even if they are able to cheat, at the end of the day, the moderators can always say, “You knew you should not have shipped your yo-yo first, and you signed that you knew that to unlock this section of the forum, and because you violated that protocol, you are on your own tracking down the thief.” So, those things are not a guarantee nothing will go wrong, but they are a way to deter the lazy, and cut down on the whining when things have gone wrong. Basically, it is a way to say, “you knew the protocol and you traded that way at your own risk.”

When lazy people see a quiz pop up, most of them would back out. If a scammer cannot even browse the BST without taking a quiz first, it can act as a deterrent.

Again, too much effort to implement that, but it would indeed be a good idea.

1 Like

People seem to misinterpret what I’m saying to a certain degree.

I am not talking about scamming and I do not mean to directly attack younger age groups (intentionally anyway). The misrepresentation of product, laziness, lack of manners and sloppy message grammar/spelling is what I’m attacking.

People consistently fall through on things, get pissy as you when you call them out (even politely) on unfair prices or wrongly represented product. I had this issue with jetct recently. The 888 he has listed is not a 2009 888 nor is it a “Rare Smiley Edition” as he claims. Its just a plain 888x. With screenshotted proof from YoYoFactory Support themselves, he still refused to change the information he provided seemingly regardless of how politely I pointed it out.

Thats the type of thing I’m talking about. People being lazy, stubborn and falsely advertising product trying to get the better of uneducated throwers. And then throwing up a fight against more experienced throwers when their lies get called out. THAT is what I’m sick of. I have ran into this problem SEVERAL times on multiple forums just in the past month.

I think any time you’re dealing with kids or people with the maturity and moral compass of a small child, you can pretty much expect some shenanigans. I’d throw misrepresentation of product under the category of scamming. I think I’ve been pretty lucky with my BST dealings here so far because people have been quick to reply to messages and have asked lots of questions (which I’m more than happy to answer) before agreeing to a trade/purchase.

The way I see it, if the listing someone has posted is sloppy with grammar/spelling (I get that nobody is perfect here, but I would at least like to see an effort being made), has no pictures or low res pictures where you can’t tell if it’s a yoyo or a frisbee, or is asking for impossible prices/trades (like the totally cray cray asking prices on the Yetis sometimes), I just pass right on by. Simple as that.

Yuki

Well good thing I’m almost 16 :wink:

But yeah, I have noticed this. I always try to be very polite to people who want to BUY from ME. THEY ARE GIVING ME MONEY, YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THEM FOR THAT. And when you are in a buying position, offer the said price or dont even bother offering! This makes me mad the most. When trading, people have something you want, act like you want it. Its pretty easy to understand. I dont get why people feel the need to not use proper punctuation and just be straight up rude! I.E. Some kid gave me negative feedback when all I did was deny his offer. The nerve of some people!

3 Likes

Ah, you must be one of these mythical responsible teenagers I keep hearing about :wink: I’m glad that some of you have a good, mature head on your shoulders and realise that it doesn’t matter if you’re buying, selling, or just asking questions, respect is a pre-req for a smooth transaction.

I don’t think you always need to offer the stated price unless the price is listed as a firm price, just don’t go lowballing. If I’m asking $100 for a throw, don’t go and offer me $50. Keep offers within reason.

And if you haven’t already, you might want to go talk to a moderator/admin about getting that negative feedback removed.

Yuki

Take a peek at my feedback. I have 50+ positive on YYN.

Now I have negative on here because of people who are upset I didn’t accept their offer. Then made up bogus reasons under the feedback. I’ve learned to just accept it.

:smiley:

To echo what TotalArtist said: 100 Days, 100 posts. Or better yet: 100 days, 200 posts. You can do a lot in 100 days and 200 posts could all happen in a month. I dont think a quiz would work because people can just lie on it, that is, if the quiz is a series of “Would you scam ___?”-type questions. You need to build a reputation. I think if the 100 days, 200 posts rule went into effect the yoyoexpert BST would become far better and the scammer/impolite-child population would dwindle. I was recently scammed by some kid. He said he sent me money on multiple occasions when he never did. I let it fly (I just sold a CLYW box), but many others were scammed by him in items that were far more valuable.

Frankly, if YYE is to become an all-around better forum, I think there needs to be rules in place to stop the scammers from scamming. Because it is my impression that scammers join YYE and soon after scam a guy. They are lazy is what im saying, and lazy people dont like to do 200 helpful posts during a 100 day time period.