boingy boing

the yoyo twisting is from one of two things, not boinging fast enough or the mount not being straight to the path of the yoyo. just turn your whole body as the yoyo turns to keep it straight in the mount. after a while you’ll get good enought that it’ll stop happening.

I would appear that your throw is not up to par, work on a strong throw, and try to center your bounces. Trust me, I have been throwing for 4 years and I JUST got it.

A straight throw is needed when you start the trick. Another thing that helped me get the trick is having good rhythm with your boings.

What made it click for me was, when moving into it from your split bottom mount, actually “throwing” the yoyo forward such that the first boing is already taking place when you are in position for the trick. Sort of like the beginning to atom bomb.

Starting the trick from a dead stop can be tough when you’re learning since the yoyo usually wants to bounce a little side to side and falls out of line with strings. At least with the way above, even if you mess up the boings, you still get a feel for how the yoyo will actually be moving when you get it right. Helped me a lot with the timing aspect.

Yeah, my trouble with them is that I tend to miss the string(s) a lot. Especially with my 44Clash Special 2010, which is quite small. I miss less often with my Northstar or even with my DV888.

When getting the hang of it … I would start with some barrel rolls to get my string a little shorter. It seemed to help. Also try putting your yo-yo in a plastic bag, hold onto the handles and practice the motion. If you can get the bag to swing forward and backward, it’s the same movement you will use when throwing the trick.