Blasting/anodizing a single raw yoyo

Wondering what my options are for blasting and anodizing a single raw yoyo. I’ve seen people mention Gruntbull in similar discussion topics in the past. Is there any risk to this process (e.g. will it introduce vibe/will a substantial amount of material be added to the bearing seat?)?

I’ve never personally annodized anything. My bigger fear would be with the sand blasting process. You’ll want to be very careful not to blast off to much material in any one spot.

1 Like

I think that depends on your tolerance/sensitivity to vibe/changes. In general Gruntbull does an amazing job - I sent them my YWET and have no regrets about it - still plays smooth and evenly blasted. They’re very experienced and I think still do batches for some makers in the community.

They do Type II anodizing which is the most common on yo-yos and I don’t think it really adds any perceivable amount of material to the yo-yo.

This is just my opinion and hope it helps! But also know that I’m not the type of person who expects or really cares for my throws to be completely vibe free.

2 Likes

I should have specified - I’m not looking to blast and ano a yoyo on my own, I’m looking for a service to do it.

1 Like

What did it cost to have your YWET done? I just got a raw The End pt. II and thought it’d be cool to get the Bape colorway on it.

2 Likes

I got a raw blasted DTYY from RCS a few weeks ago and I’m hoping/planning to do a one off ano on it just to see what it’s like and how it comes out. There are some easy DIY instructions out there and the first one I looked at seemed doable. I wouldn’t sandblast myself only because I don’t have that equipment, but I think I could swing the rest assuming the chemicals are obtainable enough in small amounts. I’m hoping pool acid will work, but if not, I might still try.

1 Like

I’d love to see pics when you’re done.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m a ham, I’ll be posting. It could take me a year to get to it though. Two toddler time poverty in effect.