Blasting a titanium yoyo?

Id like to try putting a blasted finish on my titross. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience / insight / tips / tricks on doing it. I realize i could introduce give etc but thats a risk i am happy to take. I have all other g2 ti as blasted but the titross was not available that way so i figured i would do it myself! Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

Just make sure you use good particles and a strong compressor, I would also use a thick glue around the bind area to prevent rough texture that cuts string

2 Likes

I’ve seen people do a tumble process using fish tank gravel in a jar with the Yoyo halves inside (bearing, axle and pads removed). Jar is wrapped inside a thick blanket and taped securely as to not come undone, then tumbled in a dryer with a couple other towels. I think it’s how Coffin tumbled a run of Ti Echelon.

10 Likes

1 Like

Thank you all for the suggestions, i think I’ll try to find some pieces of ti too run some experiments on before i destroy the yoyo :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I first read this thinking “hopefully he doesn’t just end up wasting a yoyo” so I’m glad you’re testing scrap first :smile:

1 Like

I’ve done this and really like the texture.

As you can see from this pic, the size of the stones determines how well the finish will get into little corners like at the edge of this Ti Hawk’s rims.

8 Likes

I love this, it looks incredible. I have a glitch tishee i wasn’t to do that with.

1 Like

Do it up! I used a 32oz nalgene bottle,about half a bag of aquarium gravel, and like a quarter cup of water. Tightly closed, tightly wrapped in a towel, tied with a shoelace, dried with my towel load for an hour, then a big blanket for another 90 minutes. Ymmv, but I really like how it turned out. I sold this Ti Hawk 4 years ago and just bought it back this week lol.

5 Likes

I liked your comment better when it said “donut up” haha! I wanted to find a mint copper a grade tishee before doing it but i just snagged a blasted copper a grade so game on. Def going to do it. Should be able to post pictures by the end of next week. Did you mask off the bearing seat and response area when you did yours?

2 Likes

Nice! I did not mask. I left the old pads in, and a throwaway bearing, and out it in assembled.most if not all of the rocks were too big to get to the bearing seat so it worked pretty well. In hindsight I should have masked and recommend you do so. tape and hot glue perhaps?

2 Likes

I am thinking some kind of threaded insert with an m4 bolt or something.

1 Like

I am in no way a pro, and my sophomore attempt was likely just luck, so I think I’m out of advice :joy:.

Donut up!

2 Likes

Following for updates

2 Likes

Finally got around to doing it. Almost wish the texture was a little heavier but overall happy with the results. Thanks for the advise!

11 Likes

Beautiful! What is that spacer you used for the response?

2 Likes

I made it on my lathe. It’s just a piece of pvc trim (like Azek) to protect the bearing seat and response area.

3 Likes

I gotta find something like it at Ace. I want to do my black antithesis, but I want to save the response and I don’t think tape will cut it.

1 Like

I can send you one if you want. I made a little extra i will just cut you a sliver of it.

2 Likes

DM incoming! Thanks!

1 Like