blacklight yoyo reannodization

hey. i was just wondering if you could re-anodize a yoyo so it is glow in the dark or glows under a black light. (like a yoyo string does) I don’t know much about anodizing so sorry if I’m totally wrong about the whole how its done thing.

No, I’m pretty sure that you can’t achieve glow in the dark with anodizing. You can get a yo-yo to glow in the dark by painting it or powder coating it. This is a great website about anodizing.

1 Like

He said by black light. This means he could simply paint it white or anodize it yellow.

If you want a true glow in the dark then follow what mrcnja posted.

To the best of my knowledge, anodizing it yellow wouldn’t make it fluorescent. Just because something is a certain color doesn’t make it glow under blacklight either. Granted there are some exceptions such as white will glow purple because it reflects all colors. I just did a test with my Dragonfly. The caps and the yo-yo are both a very similar shade of yellow. However, the caps glow bright yellow while the yo-yo glows a very dark and dull orange.

None of the pieces of aluminum that I have put under blacklight have glowed (or exhibited fluorescent properties). So far I have tried the deep blue of my Superstar, the green of my Trainwreck, and the raw aluminum of a metal zero. None of them glowed. They merely reflected a small amount of light. I would have to assume that yellow would display that same property, that is, only reflecting a small amount of light and not glowing any.

I will say that most of that was only speculative backed by a few experiments.

One interesting trick that you could use, mrsnipes82, is soap. If you ever looked at a bathroom under blacklight you would have noticed that more or less all soap scum glows quite a bit. You could rub some soap on the rims and sides of a yo-yo for a temporary solution to wanting a yo-yo to glow under blacklight. Perfect for making a video.

Oh Pooh!

would paint stay on forever or would it rub off. and will the paint make the surface of the metal rougher? and if it does stay on forever would I use oil based paint?