Bimetal maneuverability

Is it possible for a bimetal to have maneuverability at the same level as a monometal?

I ask this because every yoyo I have tried and made that responds quickly and easily to directional changes has a generous amount of centerweight, or at least a more even weight distribution.

On the other hand, every bimetal I’ve thrown does not respond to these canges as quickly. Sure, they respond fast enough, but never as fast.

The way many compensate for this is making a light bimetal yoyo, but do can these really respond to quick movement changes just as easily as a single metal yoyo?

It seems to me that is what bimetals sacrifice for their stability and long spin.

2 Likes

I think it is quite possible. For instance, I’ve never heard anyone describe the Draupnir or the Hummingbird as less capable of fast direction changes as a good monometal.

They’re both very light.

They are fast, maneuverable, and stable, with long spin times. Why does being light disqualify them from being viable contenders to monometals?

I’m saying they aren’t maneuverable, just that they most likely don’t have the same level of maneuverability that a monometal can have.

Have you tried a Draupnir or an Elite or a Hummingbird?

I mean, maybe someone with a lot more experience with them than I can chime in here, but I don’t recall anyone describing any of those as having perceptibly less “maneuverability” than a monometal.

I feel very under qualified to answer this question, but something that came to mind while pondering your question is the fact that most competitors used bimetals these days, and they can get up to some pretty mind-blowing speeds during speed combos.

1 Like

And if I’m not mistaken, high-speed play was the hallmark of the Draupnir.

Again, I don’t feel qualified to chime in on the subject of bimetals or competitive style throwing. I don’t own, or have ever played a bi-metal, and I honestly don’t follow competitions. I’ve just seen some clips of freestyles here in there, and most bi-metal seem to be marketed for competitions.

I dismiss descriptions of “maneuverability” when it comes to yo-yos. Kind of like “float.” Something that will never get a good definition.

To cover the majority of characteristics, there’s weight (light=fast direction changes after the throw), rim-weight/moment of inertia (for spin times and the heft/speed while throwing/regenerating), smoothness (which combined with the sound creates all kinds of subjective perceptions), and then influences of gap size and response type (thunk/kickback adjustment).

I’ll admit it’s hard to short-hand the combination of these things, but I stay away from “maneuverability” and “float.” No judgment from me if you guys don’t!

3 Likes

I believe light weight can help maneuverability, but I don’t think it’s the main way it is designed into a yoyo.

I also don’t believe that the term ‘maneuverability’ is an elusive and subjective quality of a yoyo. It’s a very real one. I have two yoyos from the same manufacturer that have a different shape, but the exact diameter, width and weight, yet one is far more maneuverable than the other and it isn’t my imagination.

And zslane, by maneuverability I don’t mean can do ‘high-speed play’.

I’m not exactly sure why I posted this in the first place as my mind is pretty much already made up on the matter.

1 Like

Well as Glen says, speed and maneuverability aren’t exactly the same thing. I think a bi-metal can be light enough to quickly change direction, and yet it will still track, and be quite stable. I think those qualities are what make them so popular for competition, but also what make some yoers think of them as sterile.

A less stable yo-yo can be more quickly directed along the axis, which can make it less reliable in a competition setting, and more difficult for horizontal play, but can make the yo-yo more lively. It means it’s more maneuverable, in that it’s more responsive to plane adjustments.

3 Likes

Not trying to be confrontational, but what do you mean by maneuverability then?

If it involves the feel during the throw or tilting the yo-yo (plane adjustments like Myk_Myk mentioned), I can understand. If it has already unwound, then I would argue a boing-e-boing would feel the same for two identical weights.

I mean the ease at which the yoyo can quickly change direction. With a more centerweighted or even weighted yoyo, the user doesn’t need to put as much force into this.

I feel this not correct. A more stable yo-yo would tend to track with less effort, but would be harder to get back under control if it started to veer. A less stable yo-yo would need to be “chased” more, but would be easier to get back on track through adjustments.

1 Like

Assuming you’re not trying to tilt the yo-yo, that characteristic sounds applicable to boing-e-boing and therefore I don’t think what you said about weight distribution is true.

Veer in what way?

Change plane.

1 Like

I’m agreeing with all @Myk_Myk is saying here.

1 Like

Ok, then I agree with @Myk_Myk 's description, but I would argue the feel is pretty much the same if we’re putting aside plane adjustments (i.e. changing directions in the axis of spin only).

In other words, if maneuverability has only to do with plane-changing, I agree with both of you!