Biggest yoyo lesson you've learned?

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what is the biggest lesson you’ve learnt in your yoyo journey… Either intentionally or accidentally.

For me it was shortening my yoyo string. Only happened by accident as one of my new throws come with a much shorter string than I’m used to. Was impatient to try the throw before swapping strings, and discovered how much quicker and controlled I could play with the shorter string.

What’s yours?

11 Likes

I haven’t learned it yet but:

Buy less yoyos, learn more tricks.

Maybe one day. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

24 Likes

Do a safety-throw after EVERY suspicious bind!

28 Likes

It’s usually not the yoyo, it’s just me and my ability to control it. Make sense?

5 Likes

String torsion is so important for fixed axle play. Most fixies have a sweet spot where they return reliably and keep the string open enough for kickflips, and the sweet spot varies by throw and string combination.

11 Likes

My eye socket can confirm this one :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Practice makes perfect

8 Likes

Improving isn’t a race. A handful of people progress stupidly fast, most people don’t. The great players I look up to have been playing for 5-10+ years. They didn’t get good in a year or two, they just kept playing/learning/improving at their own pace for a long time.

Alternatively, but not to be interpreted in a way contradictory to what I just wrote:

Kids don’t learn too quickly, it’s adults who give up too quickly.

13 Likes

The tiny scar by my left eye and my two front teeth can vouch for this one

3 Likes

Is actually really easy to do :sweat_smile:. I was addicted to buying and trying every new yo-yo out there when I first returned to throwing. Decided that I just wanted to focus on improving and haven’t bought a single yoyo since. You can do it!

8 Likes

Practice makes improvement!

3 Likes

Yoyo people think I’m a Troll.

Also…that giving away for FREE 95% of my yoyo collection, was far more rewarding than obtaining and maintaining it. A lot of kids and adults got nice yoyos, whereas, I would have never bought one for them in the first place. Pay’em forward…teach the art…inspire!
Reduce Reuse Recycle.

I think the skeleton in the yoyo closet is too many yoyos not enough hands. In other words Sinful Gluttony.

4 Likes

Man… I got a lot of em

13 Likes

To enjoy doing what you enjoy to do. Your enjoyment is not dependent upon another’s approval. Enjoy life in your own unique and beautiful way.

7 Likes

Don’t yoyo while drunk and angry.

5 Likes

Watch out for ceiling fans and chandeliers, area rugs are your friend, your wallet will judge you.

3 Likes

Break things down, learn tricks in a good order, be fundamentally sound and not to skip. Skills will accelerate and your future self will thank your former self and that’s when the true fun begins.

4 Likes

When performing a combo, it is better to start it with a good flow instead of trying to over-stack with all the fancy, difficult trick.

Vibe isn’t a problem.

14 Likes

Keep at it.