Bearing spin time with a finger flick

Yes, just pop off a shield, put it on a stick and spin it in a bit of acetone, flick dry.

1 Like

Can it be cleaned with the normal method? (pop both shields, soak in acetone and dry for 5 mins)

no need to soak, spinning it gets it all out, flick dry takes very little time with acetone.

Can I use lighter fluid or mineral spirits for it as well? Or would it harm the treatment?

It will not harm anything just may not work as well. Give it a try and see.
Never needs lube

The S/C ceramic has performed well over the years, and is still spinning while I had some others have died. They are the best bearings I own, without a doubt. I will surely recommend them to my friends and continue buying from you =). Thanks for the great work you have done.

What part wasn’t I clear about?

I’m talking about putting a yo-yo in a fixed holder, held by the outer race of the bearing just like a string would, then accelerating said yo-yo to a given a rpm… using a motor with a set rpm or whatever method you’d like.

You eliminate any variable about response systems, bearing shapes, string choice/tension/etc, precession problems, throw inconsistencies, etc. You simply break it down to bearing performance and nothing else.

I’ve done it. I did it quite a lot for many years and there are some very old posts about it somewhere, but these days I just don’t care quite enough… all the bearings out there work more than well enough for what we need.

Kyle

Sorry yeah I wasn’t specific either lol. I saw the dyno machine and it looked like the string was used to either spin the yo or hold it. I don’t know how that one works. The same thing was missing from your post of how exactly the yoyo is fixed in place. I’m just trying to get technical here and mean nothing bad by it. I’m an engineer so enjoy experiments.

Can you give details of how the yoyo is fixed in place? I like the motorized (guessing wheel) approach. That’s what I was thinking would be best for flick-o-matic but since we need to have the yoyo in the experiment too then just trying to get a mental image of how to set it up. What needs to give the yo a fixed axis I guess is the best way to put it.

I know just about any bearing that will spin freely for say 10-15 seconds should be fine but with more and more $20+ bearings coming out it would be cool to see how much they differ in spin times.

Didn’t you do some tests and basically prove that no bearing is truly “Superior”?

A flick is a quick and easy way to check the condition of a bearing.
I do it to every one I clean and treat.
When you do enough of them you will know if a problem exists.

The conclusion was simply that between the high quality bearings, there wasn’t enough of a difference to matter on anything short of sleeper records. And even in the low quality bearings, they were plenty adequate for the job.

To the question on my setup…

The yo-yo was screwed together through a ‘wall’ that acted as a fixture… the hole in the wall was sized precisely to fit the bearing snugly, just as a string would. This gives you a yo-yo totally fixed into an idealized position.

The motor was simply a variable speed motor attached to a rubber wheel that contacted the rim… when spun up, you get a yo-yo at a precisely determined speed.

It’s not the be all end all to me, but I like to do is more as challenge type thing. The best results I’ve got were just shy of 50 seconds, I’d like to try for 60 but but anything around 20 is acceptable in my book. In my opinion it does have some merit, but I realize I do a lot of overkill.