Bearing Question

The bearing in my Freq.wav sometimes makes a squeak-type noise and becomes momentarily responsive when I pop it up for a laceration or grind. What causes this? What can I do? Thanks in advance.

Clean it in mineral spirits, after deshielding. After taking the bearing out, do the paper cleaning method where you put paper between the races and spin it around multiple times until there’s no black gunk anymore. Let it completely dry, add a dab of lube if you want(half a drop), reshield, pop it in and play.

I like acetone better than mineral spirits.

Or acetone. or lighter fluid. Or nail polish remover( basically acetone)
Guess yoyoing has a lot of preferences, huh?

Don’t use nail polish remover, it has chemicals in it so it can go on skin, so it’ll leave a residue and not clean thoroughly.

Eh, worked for me. It’s not the best option though. My mineral spirits worked better for me.

ACETONE IS BETTER. I AM RIGHT BECAUSE WE ARE ON THE INTERNET AND I’M ALWAYS RIGHT ON HERE. PLUS IF YOU THINK I’M WRONG THEN YOU’RE STUPID. ALSO, CAPS LOCK MEANS I’M COOLER THAN YOU.

You think you’re cooler than me.

I got designer shades… Oh man what am I doing…

To hide my face…

I’m confused.

Right on!

Now, on a calmer note. I use both mineral spirits and acetone. I am finding I get better results with acetone. I do my first cleaning in mineral spirits, followed by the paper slip method. After that, I use acetone. Since I Terrapin X Dry Play treat all the bearings I clean, I have to use acetone.

I prefer to not use lighter fluid. A bit too flammable for my preferences, especially since I could be visited by pyromaniacs at any point in time.

DO NOT use nail polish remover.

Right, like acetone isn’t what you’d normally consider as a “chemical”.

But really though, nail polish remover contains other non-volatile ingredients that can leave buildups in the bearing race. For the very same reason WD40 shouldn’t be used to clean bearings either.

After removing the bearing from the solvent, you should also use compressed air to blow out any residual dusts, which are now more easily removed because there are no more viscous fluid in the bearing for it to stick on. Blowing with your mouth also works, but be careful not to blow any saliva into it.