Bearing maintenance

How often do you lube your bearings? And how often do you clean them? Does the bearing type and size effect how often? Or string type and size?
I have been trying out some super thick Bad Wolfe string and it seems like it plays and feels great for several days then the yo-yo becomes responsive. Put the same string on a different yo-yo, same outcome. I don’t know if it’s just me, or I just need to lube or clean my bearings much more often?

1 Like

How often do you lube your bearings? And how often do you clean them?

Clean and lube together, usually do it when it doesn’t sound or feel right. Could be 1 month, could be 1 year. YMMV.

Does the bearing type and size effect how often?

Really only affected by climate. For example, if you play outside in a humid climate you might need to lube and clean more often. Vs someone who plays indoor in a dry climate.

I don’t know if it’s just me, or I just need to lube or clean my bearings much more often?

How much lube are you adding? You need to break down the excess lube and it’ll be unresponsive again, just throw hard sleepers for 10-15mins.

Idk how thick “super thick” string is but that could be causing problems too.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to get acetone to soak them in. I heard it’s best. and try cleaning more often. See if that helps

2 Likes

Acetone is great just make sure it’s 100% acetone. To help troubleshoot:

1. After cleaning play the bearing dry for 5-10 throws, is it responsive? - If yes, probably the string.

2. Take out the bearing, lube it, throw it a few times. Responsive? - If yes, use less lube next time.
    But you don’t need to re-clean it, just throw sleepers and let the bearing run. This will break down the excess lube.

Hope that helps.

5 Likes

What I usually do is to dont touch the bearing unless it makes weird noises or becomes responsive. Here’s how I clean and lube:

• Deshield the bearing (throw the shiedls away, I don’t re-shield bearings)
  • Soak bearing in isopropanol or spray it with spray acetone (I use bike brake cleaner, 100% acetone); when soaking it, I can clearly see dirty particles that float away from the bearing.
  • Spin the bearing until dries out, usually less than one minute is enough
  • Apply one drop of thin lube on a pin, most of the drop will be lost, the tiny amount that rests on the pin is what I toss in the bearing.
  • Spin the bearing to spread the lube

Usually after doing this my bearing don’t stay responsive for more than one or two throws.

Oh and I think that string types definitely affect how much a bearing get dirty.

4 Likes

Have you looked here:

1 Like

No I haven’t seen it before. That’s a ton of great information