Bearing maintenance

can i use isopropyl alcohol to clean my yoyo bearings?

2 Likes

Yes 91%+ thats 91% alcohol and 9% water… so the higher % of alcohol the better. :+1:

3 Likes

i have 70% lmao… let me see if i have any higher.

Edit: i have some 91%. thank you!

Lighter fluid also works

2 Likes

i use that

2 Likes

I’ve read on this site that many people are fans of acetone (e.g. nail polish remover) for cleaning bearings. Also worth mentioning that it is a pretty nasty chemical and should be treated as such.

6 Likes

thank you!

i can’t get the shield off… found the slot in it and have been prying at it for a half hour…

1 Like

yup, this describes all of my bearings, the shield seems to be glued on

1 Like

I use a safety pin, and, keep in mind the ends of the C clips are cut differently. I try to get the end of the pin between the end of the clip and the inside surface of the outer bearing race. I try a couple of times, if I am unable to get it out, I switch to the other end of the C clip. Normally it just takes a few seconds to deshield the bearing.

I can try to make a video later today if you think it would be helpful.

4 Likes

that would be helpful… I tried switching pins but that didn’t help.

1 Like

Acetone (nail polish remover) works too.

1 Like

thank you!

The angled cuts on c clip 15948426966201165724885|375x500

2 Likes

When a pin won’t work for me, I use a seam ripper/cutter. One handy sewing tool.

It’s designed to undo a bad seam by cutting the thread. Super fine tip on it.

2 Likes

You don’t need to take the shields off to clean and lube. Any debris that got in w/ the shields on will come out in the solvent w/ shields on. And you can use that same principle to lube the bearing, just set it on something, put a drop or so of lube onto the bearing (shields) and wait a bit. Wipe off the excess and you’re good.

2 Likes

It is my opinion that attempting to maintain bearings is a waste of time and effort. Once you start messing with a bearing; it will never be the same.

All these problems can be solved quickly and cheaply: buy a new bearing.

5 Likes

I don’t clean my bearings. I just lube them. If the go out they’ll clean back up if you use them enough.

3 Likes

got them off. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

the bearing spins less then before… going to try to paper method.

1 Like