Bearing Lube

Ok thanks. I’ve had a Protostar and a Neaua in the past and none of them ever made a noise as loud as this.

Ah I see. This sounds correct, its very screechy, it doesn’t sound like some of the other yo-yos that make a non-screech sound. So to add the lube I need to clean the bearing first?

Potentially neither. :wink: Some people just “play through” the screeching and neither clean nor lube the bearing.

The cleaning step for me is that I can only imagine there is debris of some sort that causes the screeching. So I want to clean it out. I have no evidence, only guessing!

The lube is optional. Some people like to run their bearings dry. If you are going to clean the bearing, lube goes after. If you want to try bypassing the cleaning, lube is the next step. Maybe with a bit of lube, the screeching will go away and you won’t have to clean it. Worst case, it doesn’t help, you clean, and then re-lube.

When you do lube, use only a TINY amount! I mean tiny! Any amount of lube at all will cause the bearing to become more responsive than if it were dry. But with only a small amount and then a bit of play (I like to do gyro flops) it should still become totally unresponsive again.

Thanks for the info. When you say “play through” does this mean the screeching will eventually go away if i do nothing?

Lube? #notevenonce

That is correct. Many people’s experience is that the screeching just clears up on its own without you needing to do anything other than play the yoyo.

Ever have one play quietly, get loud and hisssssy, then get quiet again within a few throws?

My DM2 has done this with the speed bearing and a CTX…

I thought that CTX was just loud until I swapped it out of the DM2 into a shutter and it was quiet! Then the speed bearing in the DM2 will sometimes get loud for 3 or 4 throws and then go silent again… Odd. It plays fine and smooth. It just gets upset with my playing I guess… :wink:

I noticed the same thing with my dm2, but I think that can happen with any throw. But dm2’s are loud lol I hate the sound it makes that’s why i traded mine away.

Its happened to me a liitle With the OD 10 ball In my Cascade. After it goes on for awhile I usualy just add a tiny bit of lube and then its fine