Lubing

I was wondering how often do you guys lube your yoyos? Like every couple months or every month? Do you add a drop of thin lube after getting that shiny new metal yoyo or do you play it stock?

It depends on the yoyo and what I want to do with it. For the most part I like to play with it stock and break in the bearing. On occasion I clean and lightly lube a new yoyo bearing. If it’s a looper I may just ad lube right out of the box depending on how much response I need. The only thing I don’t do is run my bearing dry. And as for how often I lube or clean a bearing I guess the best answer is when it needs it. Not really a fixed schedule.

You’re contradicting yourself :D! First you said you liked to play with yoyo’s stock and break in the bearing, then you said you never run your bearing dry ???

Which one?

EDIT: Nevermind I hadn’t understood what you meant

I break in my bearing first, and thin lube the bearing until it plays really quiet.
I lube whenever the bearing starts sounding a little loud.

Generally I maintain my main throw at the end of every month, but for my other yoyo’s, whenever they start to become loud or seem to get sluggish i’ll give the bearing a good cleaning and light lube.

As for when I get a new yoyo, I will play it until I think it has broken in, then give it a clean and lube then.

dry isn’t the same as stock. when they pack the yoyos, they do lube it. dry means right after cleaning. get the difference? good

but i break in my new yoyos before i lube them. and i only lube a yoyo when the bearing gets loud. once it gets responsive from too much lube, i clean the bearing and LUBE IT if i didn’t, that would be running the bearing dry and that will destroy the bearings.

PLaying dry won’t destroy the bearing. It shortens bearing life when compared to maintained bearings.

ooOOps! I didn’t think about that when I made the post.

Editing now :smiley:

Thanks!

“PLaying dry won’t destroy the bearing. It shortens bearing life when compared to maintained bearings.”

Not to be a stickler but any time you have a you yoyo bearing spinning you are destroying it. That’s kind of what shortening its life is isn’t it? Yes very slowly and even slower with lube but you have two metal surfaces rubbing together at high speeds. You will wear away at those surfaces. Yes the lube slows this process way down but it still happens. So like in a way every time you throw your yoyo you are destroying it. :slight_smile:
Kind of like we are all dying from the day we are born. :slight_smile:

Philosophical guys are the ones I love :smiley:

I think that’s what YoYoBlaze said anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

How long does it take to break in the bearing?

Depends on the bearing

Usually when it starts getting loud or you feel different when you play.

yeah you probably broke it in. when i get a new yoyo, i use it a lot for about a week. It is almost always broken in by a week of good throwing. then i lube the yoyo once it is broken in

Yes, that’s why I said “when compared to maintained bearings”