Bae vs toru

Been looking at the yyr bae, but I saw they have a newer yoyo for the same player with similar specs and a fancy plastic ring.

How do these compare to each other, and what is up with the plastic ring? I saw it on a few yyr, why would a lighter material go on the rim? This seems counter to the idea of a bimetal in the first place, no? But surely yyr wouldn’t use a bad idea on multiple yoyos, so what’s up?

All in all, I’m wanting a stable, nimble yoyo with plenty of oomph to it’s spin.

That plastic ring is believed to make a wider width, making weight less centered to the outer. In general, it adds size to the yoyo while keeping the yoyo light. In some way it makes the yoyo faster, more capable of speed and maneuver, horizontal play

For stronger and stable spin, Bae is what you are looking for
(ps: Im selling 1 beaten toru 99, 2 nm onslaughts ayumu version)

2 Likes

Yeah, as far as I can tell the reason for the plastic ring is as Trung said. I do also think the plastic rims make it a tad softer on impacts as well compared to a standard bimetal.

I haven’t played a Bae but I have the Toru 0.999 and I really like it. It can play fast, though it doesn’t feel rushed/like a speed demon. It’s very manouverable and flowy, with a light-ish feel, and it’s width strikes a good balance for landing bigger tricks while still being good for tech.

I would say it’s not the most powerful bimetal, though it still gets a good bump compared to mono designs. I’d also say its stability doesn’t stand out for a bimetal.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, I was leaning towards the bae already, I like it’s simple aesthetic.

Have you tried the upheaval and do you think it fits in this discussion? Or would you think it’s more for speed players?

Upheaval is contrary to your criteria. Its ultra light and fast moving

1 Like

Got it, I’ll stick with the bae, maybe there will be one I can try at worlds.

1 Like