Are ceramic bearings better?

A thing I did to get myself to stop thinking like that was to hate spec a yoyo. I took my really beat up vibey draupnir, and put in the worst bearing, old pads, and old strings for use as EDC, and stopped thinking about the yoyo’s performance and just play. Whenever i catch myself overly trying to tinker with the yoyo, I ground myself by playing that hate spec’d yoyo.

4 Likes

Hahahahaha. I sort of do the same thing, I have a yoyo that somebody messed up the bearing post, it vibes like an out of balance tire at 80mph. I also have a couple old yoyos that I really don’t like, a first gen fast201, and some ancient noname plastic with a plastic transaxle that plays so bad its hard to imagine building a worse yoyo. It has enough weight you can really get the sucker spinning, and then BAM out of nowhere into your knuckles or face or somewhere worse, I swear that thing has a taste for blood. I play it with great caution and ponder how things could go so wrong with such a simple thing.

Those are my remind myself of how good things are today yoyos.

2 Likes

Riddle me this, batman: what don’t you see for sale anywhere on the YYE website?

Why do you think that is? :thinking:

1 Like

Actually they do. The Dif KK’s come in ceramic. They are the only ceramics I’ve ever bought (probably been nearly 10 years now) and they still play fantastic. But then again, I like the way Dif KKs play in general.

4 Likes

They also sell Terrapin X ceramic and YYE ceramic, including the Dif-e-yo ceramic, that’s 3 they are selling right now…

3 Likes

Yeah, what’s up with that @YoYoExpertGarrett?

1 Like

Sigh 3 of the 4 remaining active ceramic yoyo decided to all go responsive yesterday. Its probably the humidity? 2 drop of dark matter lube fixed 2. My TiVayder is now back to its stock bearing.

3 Likes

There is a reason I intentionally decided not to sell the Vayders with the ceramic bearing! Especially when the 3 samples I got were suuper weird and persnickety around the bearing area specifically…

3 Likes

The only bearing i can definitively say has never ever acted up ever for me are NSK bearings. Run them dry, pop’em in a yoyo and never need to think about them again.

3 Likes

I’ve only ever tried one full ceramic bearing and didn’t like it. I have had a Difeyo ceramic konkave for 5+ years now and it’s still going strong. Also a Terrapin Ceramic that lasted quite a while as well. I would recommend steel/ceramic hybrid over full ceramic, but I haven’t really thrown enough full ceramics to honestly compare them, just an opinion.

2 Likes

I love NSK bearings. They require so little attention they are worth the cost. Only bearings I almost never have to mess with. I have 8, and I think I’ve cleaned two of them once.

1 Like

I’ve cleaned my Dif-e-yo ceramic half a dozen times or more. I’ve tried leaving the shields off or on. Dry or lightly lubed. It will not spin gud for more than an hour.

Maybe my house is just dirty :laughing:

1 Like

Almost every ceramic bearing I’ve used has eventually ended up in the trash.

2 Likes

Full ceramic? Because I have several ceramic Dif KKs that I’ve had for around 10 years that are still the best bearings I own in my opinion.

3 Likes

yeah I don’t think I’ve ever owned any partial ceramics?

I really recommend you try one. Get a Dif ceramic KK. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

3 Likes