I guess for me it’s the feeling that they could have made more and are just deliberately not making more to cause fomo that I don’t like. If something is rare because it was extremely complicated to make or whatever that’s fine.
I think that may be a motivation for some. But I don’t get the impression that CLYW is among them.
I do think that cultivating and commemorating the uniqueness of specific events is a motivation for CLYW. That seems qualitatively different to me, but I might be alone there.
I’m not on either page, personally.
I just feel that the more you exclude, the more people won’t be bothered with it anymore and either retire from the hobby or stop supporting certain brands. I realize you may feel that isn’t profound, but that isn’t what CLYW in particular preaches. They preach inclusiveness and reaching out to have more people yoyo.
Why shouldn’t more people be able to celebrate 20 years together? Just a weird product to gatekeep in my opinion.
The camps are clearly divided here. Talk about fragmentation in an already small, stagnating community.
That’s exactly what the P3AK & p3ak are for, those are the “widespread/mass” released to celebrate their 20 years (in addition to the like… crazy amount of other releases they’ve popped off with this year). Once again not every single product is designed to be mass produced, and that’s okay lol
They’re not trying to “cause FOMO” lmfao… Steve has already said multiple times he barely got them made as is with the extreme time constraints of the drops and One Drops already stupid busy production schedule. From what I’ve gathered, they literally could NOT have made more, at least at the time of me writing this. He said he’s open to making more, but is not sure what that would look like.
The P3AK is an aluminum plastic Peak. The p3ak is a redesign of the Wooly Marmot. The Legacy Peak is specifically to celebrate the 20 years. You are correct, not every product needs to be, but one commemorating 20 years should be. Especially a redesign of the first yoyo that many grew to love. Please don’t condescend. I’m arguing what I believe are valid points, and they have nothing to do with your character or anyone else that happened to get one.
To be fair, P3AK was the intended 20th anniversary release. Legacy Peak and even p3ak are mostly serendipity.
That’s true but somewhere that changed to the Legacy Peak celebrating 2006 - 2026.
I’m not reading that much into the engraving, but arguably there is a distinction between 20 years of CLYW and 20 years since the first Peak.
I treat CLYW the exact same way I treat Rolex or any other luxury brand:
They play on supply/exclusivity to drive demand. And I’m okay with this. If they didn’t use this luxury good strategy then there would be zero demand in the first place and nobody would give a damn about the brand.
My favorite perspective to take is that these are completely luxury/optional yoyo’s and, more importantly, that you can get the same or better quality/performance yoyo’s from other brands much more easily and without going through any sort of hassle.
We’re really spoiled for choice, don’t limit your choice to a luxury company and you won’t be bothered.
CLYW just released a $40-45 dollar responsive, designed largely to sell to potentially yo-yo curious indy music fans. This is not luxury brand behavior to my eye.
Correct. They haven’t been luxury since after the Cliff was released in 2015.
They clearly are or they would just say something like we’ll make more when we can get machine time
Okay. And all Luxury brands have items that are much more exclusive/demanded than their other products.
A Submariner is infinitely easier to obtain than a Daytona.
What’s the point
Halo product is probably the more accurate marketing term. Like the GR GT from Toyota.
Fair point. But does my point not make sense? I just feel that a 20th anniversary SHOULD be more widely available.
EDIT: Not more widely available as a budget item.
Ditch and Campfire are IMO some of the best deals available (gram for gram, as it were).
CLYW does command a small premium for certain models, relative to reasonable comparables. But I don’t seen them relying on luxury brand positioning.
You gotta admit… this is a pretty comical conversation NGL, discussing extreme semantics like “this yoyo was intended to be a 20th anniversary release! and that yoyo WASN’T”, getting into the nitty gritty of “collectibles are stupid! Except my One Drop collection! BUT ACTUALLY I MEANT THINGS MADE FOR THE PURPOSE OF BEING COLLECTIBLE” and “CLYW isn’t a LUXURY BRAND since they made a FORTY FIVE DOLLAR YOYO, IMPOSSIBLE!” ![]()
![]()
![]()
It’s just all… pretty laughable
I’ve been around almost 18 years in this hobby and this is the first time I’ve seen a reaction of this level to a release, where people are now going to the point of assuming ill intent from companies, when usually for the majority of my years here, most people are just like “Bummer! I missed the drop! Oh well, time to make a BST LF post.”
Especially when the only thing CLYW has actually said in regards to all of this discussion over and over again this year is basically, “We’re just trying to do our best and pump out as many dope releases as we can this year,”
So yeah Imma peace outta this nonsense BUT end with this incredible advice:
Go buy a Wilderness 7075, it shiiits on the Legacy Peak and is the last yoyo you’ll ever need ![]()
I see you among the only ones being extreme. I and others will be fine without the yoyo.
You, the one with multiple Legacy Peaks, are among the ones attacking people personally, and that is enough for me to stay away. You can keep your horde.
Show me where I made a personal attack man
I’ll wait lol
I mean, I guess you are right, but if you want to engage me on the topic of some 20th anniversary peak… my opinion is contrary to everyone’s:
I think they should stop iterating and using the Peak’s name completely. In my mind, it only devalues the Peak’s legacy overall.
But I have very wild ideas/thoughts. Please disregard me.










