Are bots ruining yo-yo drops lately?

No offense, but you just sound bitter. If you want one that badly, you can obtain one, whether through a drop or on the secondhand market. You’re also conveniently ignoring the main point: the Legacy Peak was NOT intended to be a widespread, mainstream release. It is a COLLECTIBLE made specifically for CLYW’s 20th anniversary.

As Spence said, if every special release were readily available to everyone, it would lose what makes it special, and people STILL wouldn’t be satisfied.

This also isn’t representative of CLYW as a whole. Their regular releases aren’t particularly difficult to obtain and are generally produced in much larger quantities. The Legacy Peak is deliberately the exception.

And yes, I’d feel exactly the same if I didn’t own one. I’ve been collecting yo-yos for 16 years. Limited runs, rare colorways, missed drops, and hunting something down secondhand are nothing new. Sometimes you miss out. That’s part of collecting. Bitching won’t change anything, it’s been like this since the beginning.

Y’all truly read into things too much and sometimes I wonder if this forum is your whole life. It’s not that deep.

2 Likes

That’s quite a take for having your first interaction with me 5 minutes ago! I’ve bought yoyos on YYE and YYN since 2011. I’ve observed the trends myself. The fact that CLYW’s retailing for 150 USD and over that 10 years ago was a major setback for many to have one.

Collectables can still be mass produced so that everyone active has the possibility to “collect” history. Why should you feel special due to a toy?

I think it’s totally valid for people to be upset by not being able to grab one. Don’t have to rub it in by calling people entitled. If they wanted to do something “special”, they could do it with colorways.

3 Likes

I get it, I really do, but there’s no objectively right answer here. You believe it should be available to everyone, while the other side believes there’s nothing inherently wrong with something being intentionally limited and collectible.

Not every release has to cater to everyone. There’s room for widely available production models AND special releases that are harder to obtain.

This discussion will just end up going in circles.

1 Like

I understand, and you are right. But I’d appreciate you not taking what I said so personally as to try to offend me on a personal level. I meant no harm toward you. I was stating what I have simply observed, and stating my case.

2 Likes

There is also a third faction—perhaps a minority—made up of those who couldn’t care less about these commercial gimmicks and simply sit on the riverbank, watching and smiling… I am one of those sitting on the riverbank, watching with amusement… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Collectibles are stupid.

5 Likes

I do think this stands as a counterpoint to the fact that large volume runs lead to dead stock and therefore a sizable dent in an already slim profit margin. Having multiple sequential drops, with each drop being small enough to not only manage easily for a small shop, but is also financially safer than doing a massive dump all at once. Continuing the Summit 2 example, the scarcity seems to be more from collectors making sure to purchase as many as they can every drop (one dude in the S2 collection thread has 11 :skull:) rather than small volume. I suspect that OD will continue to make these kinds of drops until the demand peters out, that way if a drop does have some dead stock, it more of a sunk cost than lost profit.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely, 1000%

I’ve missed out on everything from ACTUAL Peak and Canvas drops to whatever the latest flavor of the month is and my reaction wasn’t “Why didn’t they make more?! They need to make more! :face_with_symbols_on_mouth:”, it was “Oh well, I really did want that… but if I see one pop up on the BST later and I still want it by then, I’ll grab it.” The chase is half the fun IMO. And then, when I did end up buying my Peaks, etc years down the road, it was even more special because it was like “Finally! I got one after STILL wanting one all that time!”

Justin said it best here:

And then made the best point in the thread:

2 Likes

How and why?! They’re all the same yoyo… why not just buy 11 different yoyos. :skull:

2 Likes

They’re different cOLoRs!!

2 Likes

Except if it’s One Drop right?

11 Likes

Heheh.

At least she collects models that have already run their course on BST.

1 Like

I think One Drop has a unique advantage here, owning their own production capacity. They can affordably run batches of designs that are 10+ years old in numbers that won’t go unsold. But being willing to meet this ongoing demand is an important factor.

1 Like

The reasons to buy different colors of the same model are pretty close to the reasons to produce them in the first place.

And how high that demand is. If stock takes too long to sell, profit is still lost. I’m not sure they make much back on a release that took over six months to sell out

My understanding is that different colors keeps new drops of the same model interesting, hyping it up along with giving those who haven’t acquired one yet another chance. My chagrin is towards individuals who already have more than their fair share because their goal is to collect at least one unit in each and every color released, as well as those who regularly purchase more than one unit.

Then again, I’m no collector

Hard to say. Especially if it is a few cubic inches on a shelf in your own facility.

This is getting very nitty but technically I would say things don’t have to be “collectibles”, as in made to be scarce, in order to collect them.

1 Like

I would be pleased if One Drop released more Lab Experiments tomorrow. I collect One Drop yoyos to play with them because I like them, not because any of them might be considered ‘collectibles’. The fact that some One Drops are incredibly rare has actively impeded me & others from getting to play with them. That sucks! I own a Format:C Gen 2 Prototype. It totally rocks, trust me. You know what sucks about that though? There are only 7 others on planet earth; so I can’t even recommend this amazing yoyo to you because you’d never bloody find one! That makes me sad. I want more people to experience this thing not less.

To put it another way, if I have to be the only person in the world with X yoyo then so be it, but that doesn’t mean that I like that it’s that way. I think they got it right with the numbered vs unnumbered Sovereign: they’re literally the same yoyo except that one has a much rarer engraving and came with a cool box.

10 Likes