Anyone have a Yoyofriends Ti Koi or Ti Koi XL?

Was curious what people thought about them and how they compared to often compared to organics

I loved the koi how it played but was audibly too loud for me /the house and was curious how the ti koi compared

and also how the ti koi xl might compare to the bowl xl!

LMK!

2 Likes

Interesting that the 7068 Koi was too loud for your house. I have had the opposite experience - I’ve found it to be quite quiet with a cleaned and lightly lubed bearing. I get the feeling that a Ti version will be louder if anything due to the nature of Ti in play.

I am a huge fan of the design language of the original Koi, and have a lot of faith in YYF. I think rejecting the original proto that came out at sub 64g is a good sign, as part of what made the 7068 Koi great was its weight. The ~56x44 bowl-shaped organic is a rather commonplace design proposition at this point, but the Koi managed to make something unique of it by throwing an extra gram or two of material out toward the rims, which resulted in a yoyo that feels a lot more powerful and stable than it looks - or has any business being, really. Although I’d have preferred to see a 66-67g weight on the Ti version given my own preferences.

This probably wasn’t super helpful, but I’m trying to talk myself into buying one too.

Edit: my curiosity got the better of me. Just ordered mine.

6 Likes

Yeah I think it was the bearing combo maybe but yeah idk and nice!! Definitely interested in what you think of it.

That explanation definitely makes sense and I have an idea in my head that I may like it but at the same time I don’t know if I want to spend the however many $$ and trades to try each of the bowl/ti bowl designs since I could in theory like each of them

I know shape/specs aren’t everything and lots are just what you feel like so the more yoyo’s I have tried the more I value the comparisons to others rather than like what is the yoyo like in a vaccuum

I hear you. Personally it has just come down to how I feel about the lower-cost options. Closest I can get to “try before you buy” without losing too much money. RSO did an amazing job with the End II, so I got the Ti version (which didn’t disappoint) and traded my Al. The Bowl 7068 didn’t really impress me, so I didn’t go for the Ti version. Loved the 7068 Koi, so here we are.

I’ll keep you posted. I am planning on doing a bit of a writeup since I haven’t ever spent this much on a yoyo (but I did get my $5 discount and free shipping…) and don’t usually buy new when it comes to high-end stuff.

1 Like