Any throwers in DFW area Texas

I’m tryin to make that contest.

1 Like

I’m in Fort Worth. Let’s meet up and have a throw session.

Contest coming in our area, anybody going?

2 Likes

I live near Houston. I hope to attend.

Jeff

1 Like

When are we starting up a new yo-yo club in the DFW area though???

1 Like

I’m in DFW as well and would love to meet up and throw! Looks like there’s also a more recent thread on the topic here Tryin to start a yo-yo club in the Dallas-fort worth area - #6 by dm3ll3n

2 Likes

I’m in Fort Worth!!!

2 Likes

I’m still down near Houston.

1 Like

I’m right in between Dallas and Fort Worth near Lewisville. From this and thread and the other threads, it looks there’s people in Richardson, Plano, Keller, White Rock, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and Oklahoma. For those of you in different major cities/states, you’re absolutely more than welcome to come over to Dallas and throw, but I think it would be good to find a place that accommodates the majority of us that are in DFW for now.

Looking at a map of DFW we’re pretty spread out (Richardson/Plano all the way to Fort Worth), so maybe we try and find somewhere in the middle to meet and throw?

Also, I’m going to tag people from the other threads in this one since people seem to be responding in this thread so let’s keep the momentum going :slight_smile:

@dm3ll3n
@alomac
@CloudyDino
@kilo_gram1067

2 Likes

Im in Mansfield. So I can visit anywhere in DFW.

1 Like

Hi im Justin. I helped run Lone star spinners from 2015-2020 when we stopped hosting meetups. DFW is huge so its a hard proposition to attract everyone. So its really about doing it consistently and in the same place/time so people can plan around you and make time. We used to do sundays at the grapevine library 11am-1ish and its central so that was nice. in the summers we used to do Klyde warren park in central dallas and that was fun for the dallas ppl! feel free to message the lss page and well repost if you host a meetup.

we were at one point the 3rd largest club in the country, in peak 2010s yoyo. But that waned as attention fell off and went down to nobody attending meetups. so at that time we just stopped entirely until interest was high enough to put out the effort. Where there is a will there is a way. keep us in the loop with your planned locations and times and ill do my best to attend and repost.

2 Likes

link up with the kendama ppl they have more regular meetups and some of them yoyo

1 Like

“If you build it they will come.”

1 Like

What is a good middle ground for anyone down to meet???

2 Likes

Great points Justin! I had no idea Lone Star Spinners got so big! That’s a good idea to connect with the kendama players!

As for a good middle ground I think Grapevine is a pretty solid middle ground between Dallas and Fort Worth, especially since y’all used to meet there anyway. I’m open to other locations but that might be easier to get going again since that’s where it was held before. I’ve found libraries and malls to be good locations for club meetups, but libraries are a bit nicer imo.

Does Grapevine sound doable for people? I wouldn’t be able to make Sundays, but I could do Saturdays in the morning or afternoon. Maybe something like 10-12 or 1-3? How does that sound?

Im in Irving. Between dallas and fort worth

2 Likes

Im in Mansfield, somewhere between Dallas and Forth Worth too

1 Like

I’m in Flower Mound, which is also pretty much right in the middle between Dallas and Fort Worth. Looking at all the places people are in, it seems like something like Grapevine or possibly Irving would be a good central point for most people. Would anyone be opposed to Grapevine?

1 Like

So I’ve been doing some research on libraries and other meeting places like rec centers, and most places are charging between $45-$90/hr to reserve space, even libraries. And the libraries that don’t charge that limit their meeting rooms to non-profit organizations, and even then some of them still charge for them (just a discounted rate). Is anyone aware of a local library in their area or that is central that has free or inexpensive meeting reservations? When I used to live in Utah, our yoyo club was able to meet for free at the South Jordan library and they still don’t charge for reservations.

The cheapest venues I found were the Flower Mound Community Activity Center at $45/hr, and a library in Fort Worth for $35/hr. I think Irving Library was somewhere around $50/hr. @triggerscold did y’all have to pay for reserving rooms at Grapevine Library? I couldn’t find info on it on their site.

Edit: Called Grapevine Library and they remember working with Lone Star Spinners in the past and there’s some potential to meet there again. They’ll get back to me on this and I’ll share updates as they come.

2 Likes

Hey all got some updates! I talked with the Flower Mound library where I live and they seemed open to having us host club meetings there, so I’ll be filling out a request for that and will keep y’all posted on how that goes. I have not heard back from Grapevine Library yet, so I’ll give them a call at lunch time today to see where we’re at there. A neighbor of mine also has a venue at his business that we could potentially use in Southlake so we have options! It’s exciting to see this actually becoming a reality!

See this thread for more details/a poll for dates and times: Tryin to start a yo-yo club in the Dallas-fort worth area - #28 by Sgt1yoyo1

6 Likes