Any poi spinners?

What’s your favorite poi trick? Mine is 3 poi weave!

2 Likes

I should make some poi it would be neat I love watching poi but it’s not something I’ve ever done

1 Like

Professional fire performer for over 20 years. I can swing some poi :smiley:

Started on a era before the web had videos to learn from, or even get trick names. I favor Meltdown and behind the back 3 beat, but theres so many good moves.

Video from a couple years ago.

Got a gig on Saturday, weather permitting.

6 Likes

Cool, I have some questions for an expert. First, have you tried orbpoi? I have had my eye on them but I don’t know if they’re worth the price. Second, do sock and cord style poi have any differences in performance? I have a pair of sock day poi and cord led contact poi, and I can’t really notice a difference. Finally, do you have any tips for top stalls? I have trying to learn them for so long and I just can’t do them for whatever reason. Tia!

1 Like

Sock poi are easy to make. I’ve also made monkeyfist poi using rope, small tennis balls and eye bolts.

1 Like

I haven’t tried Orbpoi but will say that Flowtoys pod poi are worth the $ if you can scrounge up a little more for your setup.

An old tip that always helped me with getting my up stalls vertical is to anticipate the stalled hand position, and when the spinning head is level on horizontal with your hand you move your hand to that point in space. The head continues its motion to the top and your hand moves right underneath it. You want to then follow it straight up to emphasize the stall before pulling back down.

2 Likes

Pic or it didn’t happen.

3 Likes

i used to spin poi back when I was going to more festivals. always had a ton of fun doing it, and I got into yoyoing during the pandemic specifically to find a way to recapture the flow state indoors without having to spin poi lol. i have a set of flowtoys pod poi, and some custom contact poi that a buddy made me.

definitely recommend flowtoys if you can afford them, really good stuff made by good people.

2 Likes

If you mean contact poi, yes. You want a good understanding of poi and contact juggling for this.

Socks tend to be more stretchy, especially at high speeds. Cords typically do not.

I second flowtoys & pod poi. My first gen pod poi are still working, even though they really only get used in the warmer 6 months of the year (thanks low ceilings!).

2 Likes

Can testify to this.

Ive used plenty of their products and ive met them several times.

Prices are a little proud, but they offer half price replacement on exchanged/broken equipment.

last timee i charged my gen1’s they were still working too. been ages since i dug them out. this thread is inspiring me

2 Likes

I like spinning with stretchy socks in the dark. I find it makes you really aware of the tension in the poi.

1 Like

My flow journey has been the same. Yo-yo actually got me back into poi a little. I found all my old Flowtoys stuff and traded it all in for some of their Flowmojas

3 Likes

This is the way I think about up stalls: when the poi is horizontal to the ground my hand is going to move in a quarter circle path in the direction the poi is moving and I’m trying to keep virtually no tension on the poi. The motion feels like an isolation.

Thanks y’all, will keep this in mind!

I’m a novice poi spinner but I really enjoy it! I’ve posted a few flows to my Instagram but might need to share them here when I get the chance!

1 Like

I’ve just started again after a loooong break. Last week I made a new set with organza ribbon tails.

Having heaps of fun using a single stretchy stocking / juggling ball and doing 0A and 5A style manipulations and interruptions. For classic moves I like no stretch.

1 Like

This is a vid from a few weeks ago when I figured out poi tanglers! They’re pretty fun and I do them a lot now when I spin poi. Enjoy!

3 Likes

tangles/Hyperloops are one of my favoite moves definetly i learned them ages ago and still do them all the time lol

2 Likes