Any physics freaks?

Recent studies have cast some doubt on this often-cited indirect-evidence of dark matter. If you assume that galaxies have super-massive objects at their center, the observed gravitational effects can be explained without the concept of widely distributed dark matter.

Now, some scientists are suggesting that the center of galaxies may be super-massive objects made out of… you guessed it: dark matter.

And so it goes.

5 Likes

Proof that dark matter exists⬇️

Fake News: Dateline 1933: Scientist Fritz Swicky theorizes the existence of unseen matter. He calls it “Dunkle Materie”. Scientists spend the next 85 years trying to capture this elusive substance.

Dateline 2018: YoYoFactory(R) researchers announce their breakthrough! “We have found a marketable use for Dark Matter. We believe we are the first to find a applicable use for this mysterious particle. Now anyone can shop online and purchase this miracle substance. We suggest the best use is three drops in the side of your YoYoFactory(R) precision bearings. Allow for some break-in play before enjoying the improved spin quality and bearing life”. The YoYoFactory(R) researcher goes on to say “We recommend you shake the bottle well before use to accelerate and supercharge the nanoparticles”. The scientific community is still in shock at this breakthrough from such an un-expected industry. “Hey, somebody eventually had to come up with a use for it, why not YoYoFactory(R)?”-Space expert familiar with space stuff.

8 Likes

:infinity: Mandelbrot Set :infinity:

4D

2 Likes

Fractals The Hidden Dimension HD 1080p Nova

A great documentary to watch!

1 Like

I frequent the phys.org comment sections and DE/DM is one of the most contested points among other readers. It seemingly spits in the face of what we know about entropy.

For example, DE is the vague explanation for why our universe’s expansion is accelerating. Imagine a throwing a sleeper only to watch the rotational velocity increase. It’s hard to reconcile in the Standard Model.

On a lighter note, did you know that at any given moment, there are galaxies that are moving away from each other FASTER than the speed of light? This is due to the expansion of space-time and the huge distances between some galaxies. Pretty wild to think about.

3 Likes

That pbs link is awesome! Thank you!

2 Likes

Yoooo! I’m a physics major and I just found this thread, lots of interesting talk here. I’ll be following this one.

One note of point I want to make is that a lot of information gets pretty clouded when you get from the math heavy experimental results of many experiments to what’s going on in layman terms. It’s always important to note where information is coming from, and what evidence it does or doesn’t have.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Amen!

2 Likes

"Richard Feynman famously said that ’ the double-slit experiment has in it the heart of quantum mechanics. In reality, it contains the only mystery.

Anyone know of any books that have focused on this idea particularly?

According to the eminent physicist Richard Feynman, the quantum double-slit experiment puts us “up against the paradoxes and mysteries and peculiarities of nature”. By Feynman’s logic, if we could understand what is going on in this deceptively simple experiment, we would penetrate to the heart of quantum theory — and perhaps all its puzzles would dissolve.

Also, how has

held up to the years? I remember it being one of the 1st books that I read on such subjects and enjoyed.

2 Likes

The universe is indeed a strange and wonderful place.

Of course; Einstein would say that the galaxies only appear to be moving apart at the speed of light; relative to the other.

It would be very interesting if we could build telescopes capable of seeing this ultra-distant ‘horizon’ (what like 50 billion light years?). We would be able to watch entire parts of the universe fade from view constantly.

1 Like

The Tesla vibration quote reminded me of this -

1 Like

I’ve been trying astrophotography for a few months now. Wow, what an expensive hobby. :slight_smile:

I’m documenting my shots here: http://dw.ilyy.de/

Here’s my main rig:

German Equatorial Mount
Super Apochromatic Refractor
Cooled CMOS Camera
Electronic Focuser
Auto-Guider
RaPI based mini control PC

Clear skies!

16 Likes

Very nice!

Super-cool.

wooooow amazing that you got that standing in your room

Something wild about astrophotography that kind of blew my mind is the fact that the majority of stars you see in them (such as a the photo you posted here) are actually in our own Milky Way galaxy, they’re not stars in another galaxy as they’d be too dim to see.

So what you’re actually doing is seeing stars thousands of lightyears away while the nebula is millions of lightyears away.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Wow! This is the kind of equipment you see at the Brazos Bend Observatory outside of Houston!

VERY nice!

2 Likes

From 2016 but new to me.

1 Like

There has been considerable work on revising the laws of gravity over large-distances to account for observation. Many believe that modifying the laws of gravity is preferable to inventing entirely new forms of matter and energy that are difficult; if not impossible to detect.

It is simply impossible to understand the effects of gravity without understanding the Einstein tensor-metric; and how it affects space-time.

If nothing can move faster than the speed of light; why is effect of gravity instantaneous, over infinite distance?

3 Likes