Any physics freaks?

I know that may be seem true in physics, but as far as I’m concerned, if it’s not well supported it’s a hypothesis. That what I teach my students.

1 Like

ahhhhhh quantum physiks :laughing:

loooooove it

According to Google:

In scientific reasoning, a hypothesis is an assumption made before any research has been completed for the sake of testing. A theory on the other hand is a principle set to explain phenomena already supported by data.

As with every example I cited, the supporting data was there, but limited by the measuring ability of instruments at the time. Thus mainstream science deemed them all invalid. Similarly, Semmelweis was discredited for his theory that if doctors washed their hands before surgery it would prevent infections in patients. He had the data to support the theory, but since it was not “well supported” it was deemed preposterous, beaten, and put into asylum. It was not until microscope technology proved his theory through direct observation that hand washing by doctors was accepted practice.

Unfortunately direct observation of quantum source particles, dark matter, dark energy, and aetheric field may never be possible as they exist in higher oscillating dimensional spheres and are prematter substance. Even though they can be currently detected, measured, and quantified they will likely never be accepted by those who are still in the seeing is believing mainstream science camp.

The modern scientific educational and research grant system is perpetuating the notion that only “well supported” theories should receive funding and credibility, thereby restricting the consciousness of budding scientists and leading them into highly specialized slivers of scientific fields where they usually build upon another’s work to produce more supporting data in the hopes of receiving a degree rather than actually exploring the ideas they generate through direct cognition or experiential knowing.

3 Likes

You make some interesting points, but I still have a hard time viewing “theories” that aren’t well-supported as true theories. I have always been taught that a scientific model or idea that isn’t well-supported is the lay definition of the word theory. I’m not a physics guy, but I do have a BS in science and a MA in secondary science education. The problem is the farther you get away from what is directly observable, the more tenuous it becomes. Take dark matter, is there something out there or is it just math to make the current model of the universe work? Is it possible that there’s another fundamental force that we haven’t found yet? I have no idea, but I can’t help but wonder.

1 Like

Einstein also said he wasn’t a genius, only passionately curious. Like many scientist have said, in grade school kids are all so curious, by high school all that passion and curiosity is gone and that is a terrible crime.

Tesla was something else! Free power for the world! I remember he said that his low frequency pulse of energy shot into the upper atmosphere circled the globe with almost Zero energy loss! All you needed then was a power station to transmit energy and anyone else just needed an antenna and receiver for wireless power around the globe. His goal was to lift the world out of poverty and energy dependence. Only problem was, you couldn’t charge for it. So it was stolen by the FBI according to records.

Edit:

Tesla could see into the future according to him. He also had the gift/disorder where he could fully visualize a fully working invention or piece of machinery in his head before ever drawing or building it. He knew what it was and how it worked from a vision.

String theory is still just a theory from what I’ve read. Brian Greene and such but that may be old news? It’s not proven like much of quantum mechanics is from what I recall. They don’t understand quantum, but can replicate it through the scientific method, preciously and repeatedly.

2 Likes

A synopsis of various published research from Brittanica:

Dark matter , a component of the universe whose presence is discerned from its gravitational attraction rather than its luminosity. Dark matter makes up 30.1 percent of the matter energy composition of the universe; the rest is dark energy (69.4 percent) and “ordinary” visible matter (0.5 percent).

Originally known as the “missing mass,” dark matter’s existence was first inferred by Swiss American astronomer Fritz Zwicky who in 1933 discovered that the mass of all the stars in the Coma cluster provided only about 1 percent of the mass needed to keep the galaxies from escaping the cluster’s gravitational pull. The reality of this missing mass remained in question for decades, until the 1970s when American astronomers Vera Rubin and W. Kent Ford confirmed its existence by the observation of a similar phenomenon: the mass of the stars visible within a typical galaxy is only about 10 percent of that required to keep those stars orbiting the galaxy’s centre. In general, the speed with which stars orbit the centre of their galaxy is independent of their separation from the center; orbital velocity is either constant or increases slightly with distance rather than dropping off as expected. To account for this, the mass of the galaxy within the orbit of the stars must increase linearly with the distance of the stars from the galaxy’s centre. However, no light is seen from this inner mass—hence the name “dark matter.”

Since the confirmation of dark matter’s existence, a preponderance of dark matter in galaxies and clusters of galaxies has been discerned through the phenomenon of gravitational lensing matter acting as a lens by bending space and distorting the passage of background light. The presence of this missing matter in the centres of galaxies and clusters of galaxies has also been inferred from the motion and heat of gas that gives rise to observed X-rays. For example, the Chandra X-ray Observatory has observed in the Bullet cluster which consists of two merging galaxy clusters, that the hot gas (ordinary visible matter) is slowed by the drag effect of one cluster passing through the other. The mass of the clusters, however, is not affected, indicating that most of the mass consists of dark matter.

The dark matter that comprises the other 26.1 percent of the universe’s matter is in an unfamiliar, nonbaryonic form. The rate at which galaxies and large structures composed of galaxies coalesced from density fluctuations in the early universe indicates that the nonbaryonic dark matter is relatively “cold,” or “nonrelativisitic,” meaning that the backbones of galaxies and clusters of galaxies are made of heavy, slow-moving particles. The absence of light from these particles also indicates that they are electromagnetically neutral. These properties give rise to the particles’ common name, weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs). The precise nature of these particles is not currently known, and they are not predicted by the standard model of particle physics. However, a number of possible extensions to the standard model such as supersymmetric theories predict hypothetical elementary particles such as axions or neutralinos that may be the undetected WIMPs.

2 Likes

Just a theory? A solid theory is the gold standard in science. You can never 100% prove anything is completely true.

I need to read something new as it’s been years. What’s good but something a layman could get something from?

Always liked Max Planck. A normal guy who liked to think. I liked Feynman as he could draw abstract ideas on a bar napkin for anyone to understand.

There’s an older movie called Dark Matter that is based on a true story and touches on what you said about main stream academia and it’s social structure/cast system.

This image is making the rounds again. It’s a Hubble shot. They are not stars, but galaxies. About 10,000. :slight_smile:

What I meant was there are several competing theories on string theory. I’m not sure how you label them bronze/silver/gold since they all are different?

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying. I guess I have a hard time calling competing models, theories when it’s not settled yet.

1 Like

What about a proof in mathematics?

Some that I found impactful, but approachable are-

Molecules of Emotion: Candace Pert

My Inventions and Other Writings: Nikola Tesla

The 4th Phase of Water: G. Pollock

There are lots of technical writings I can provide that are beyond the purview of this forum, but judging by your username may resonate with you. :wink:

If you are familiar with Planck then I would highly recommend studying Nassau Haramein. Has a video series available that is excellent.

I love this image of the galaxy field in Virgo! 10,000 galaxies in one tiny sliver of observable space is mind blowing for sure!

Dark Matter and Dark Energy; like Ether a century go; are theoretical constructs to make observation work with theory. To my knowledge, neither has ever been directly observed.

You are right. They have not been observed because they are unobservable.

See this post for deets:

One of the most mind blowing images of all time! Talk about making you feel small!

2 Likes

This image caused an instant shift in consciousness when I saw it! Went and bought a large Dobsonian scope after I saw it and got deep into astronomy. I wonder how many people have been inspired to research space from this one image!

2 Likes

If dark matter affects normal matter, then those effects should be observable. Those effects have not been directly observed even though many experiments have looked.

The research you are citing is theoretical research; not experimental.

Although astronomers cannot see dark matter, they can detect its influence by observing how the gravity of massive galaxy clusters bends and distorts the light of more-distant galaxies located behind the cluster. This is known as gravitational lensing and the bending of light is a directly observed effect.

Also, it won’t be long be for it is effect is directly observed in a laboratory. The faculties are required are under construction around the world and the metric tons of xenon required for the experiments is currently being purified :point_down:

Researchers at Sanford Lab believe the leading candidate for a dark matter particle is a WIMP, or Weakly Interacting Massive Particle. If WIMPs exist, billions of them pass through your hand, the Earth and everything on it every second. But because WIMPs interact so weakly with ordinary matter, their ghostly journey goes entirely unnoticed.

Scientists hope that on occasion a WIMP will interact with normal matter through the weak nuclear force. At Sanford Lab, they constructed the LUX dark matter detector and filled it with a third-of-a-ton of cooled super-dense liquid xenon. The xenon is surrounded by powerful sensors designed to detect the tiny flash of light and electrical charge emitted if a WIMP collides with a xenon atom within the tank. The detector’s location at Sanford Lab beneath nearly a mile of rock, and inside a 72,000-gallon, high-purity water tank, helps shield it from cosmic rays and other radiation that would interfere with a dark matter signal.

Our target is xenon, a colorless, odorless noble gas found in trace amounts in the Earth’s atmosphere. In the search for WIMPs, scientists with LUX and LZ use super dense liquid xenon, which is cooled by liquid nitrogen to -160 Fahrenheit. We use xenon for its ability to emit light and electrons when hit by other particles—a property critical to detecting WIMPs.

The first-generation dark matter detector, LUX, used 350 kilograms of xenon as a target. Now scientists want to go bigger—30 times bigger, in fact. The next generation experiment, called LUX-ZEPLIN (LZ), will hold 10 metric tons of xenon—nearly ¼ of the all xenon produced in an entire year.

Sanford Lab purchased about 80 percent of the xenon needed for LZ. But before it can be used in the experiment, it must be purified. To ensure the xenon is pure enough for the experiment, scientists will run it through the purification process twice. It will take a few years to build LZ but when it’s ready the xenon will be ready too.

LUX and LZ look for WIMPs in the same way. Each uses a vessel that can hold the liquid xenon. Arrays of photomultiplier tubes, or PMTs, sit above and below the xenon target, where they create an electrical field. Scientists install the detector deep underground to reduce the noise of cosmic rays by a factor of about 10 million. Then they wait, and wait, hoping a WIMP will interact inside the detector.

How will they know they’ve seen a dark matter particle? Scientists believe that when a WIMP collides with a xenon atom, it creates a flash of light, releasing electrons. The PMTs see that and the electrons are noted by the electrical field. If this happens at the very center of the detector it just might be the signal scientists hope to see.

3 Likes

I have a Diploma in experimental semiconductor physics. However, I‘m more into astronomy and cosmology the past years.

2 Likes

I just meant each author of their book/theory, theory being in the title of some, thinks they are right. Last I read there is still a lot of testing to be done to determine who’s theory is most accurate or one many agree on as being the best theory so far to test even further.

Thanks! I’ll look them up.
My username was a book I was reading at the time I signed up. I thought it was neat he drew and wrote it and his life story. His honesty and intro resonated with me too. PM me any links you wish.
The intro:

Summary

In 1961, the beginning of March, I was at perhaps the highest point of my academic career. I had just returned from being a visiting professor at the University of California at Berkeley. I had been assured of a permanent post that was being held for me at Harvard, if I got my publications in order. I held appointments in four departments at Harvard — the Social Relations Department, the Psychology Department, the Graduate School of Education, and the Health Service (where I was a therapist); I had research contracts with Yale and Stanford. In a worldly sense, I was making a great income and I was a collector of possessions.

I had an apartment in Cambridge that was filled with antiques and I gave very charming dinner parties. I had a Mercedes-Benz sedan and a Triumph 500 CC motorcycle and a Cessna 172 airplane and an MG sports car and a sailboat and a bicycle. I vacationed in the Caribbean where I did scuba-diving. I was living the way a successful bachelor professor is supposed to live in the American world of “he who makes it.” I wasn’t a genuine scholar, but I had gone through the whole academic trip. I had gotten my Ph.D.; I was writing books. I had research contracts. I taught courses in Human Motivation, Freudian Theory, Child Development. But what all this boils down to is that I was really a very good game player.

My lecture notes were the ideas of other men, subtly presented, and my research was all within the Zeitgeist — all that which one was supposed to research about.

In 1955 I had started doing therapy and my first therapy patient had turned me on to pot. I had not smoked regularly after that, but only sporadically, and I was still quite a heavy drinker. But this first patient had friends and they had friends and all of them became my patients. I became a “hip” therapist, for the hip community at Stanford. When I’d go to the parties, they’d all say “here comes the shrink” and I would sit in the corner looking superior. In addition, I had psychoanalysis at a cool investment of something like $26,000.

Before March 6th, which was the day I took Psylocybin, one of the psychedelics, I felt something was wrong in my world, but I couldn’t label it in any way so as to get hold of it. I felt that the theories I was teaching in psychology didn’t make it, that the psychologists didn’t really have a grasp of the human condition, and that the theories I was teaching, which were theories of achievement and anxiety and defense mechanisms and so on, weren’t getting to the crux of the matter.

My colleagues and I were 9 to 5 psychologists: we came to work every day and we did our psychology, just like you would do insurance or auto mechanics, and then at 5 we went home and were just as neurotic as we were before we went to work. Somehow, it seemed to me, if all of this theory were right, it should play more intimately into my own life. I understood the requirement of being “objective” for a scientist, but this is a most naive concept in social sciences as we are finding out. And whatever the psychoanalysis did (and it did many things, I’m sure) I still was a neurotic at the end of those five years of psychoanalysis. Even my therapist thought so, because when I stopped analysis to go to Harvard, he said, “You are too sick to leave analysis.” Those were his final words. But because I had been trained in Freudian theory, I knew his game well enough to enjoy this terribly sophisticated, competitive relationship with my analyst, and I would say to him, “Well in Freud’s 1906 paper, don’t you recall he said this, and when I’m saying this you should be interpreting …” For this I was paying $20 an hour!

Something was wrong. And the something wrong was that I just didn’t know, though I kept feeling all along the way that somebody else must know even though I didn’t. The nature of life was a mystery to me. All the stuff I was teaching was just like little molecular bits of stuff but they didn’t add up to a feeling anything like wisdom. I was just getting more and more knowledgeable. And I was getting very good at bouncing three knowledge balls at once. I could sit in a doctoral exam, ask very sophisticated questions and look terribly wise. It was a hustle.

I’ve read Harnessing the Wheelwork of Nature - Tesla’s science of energy.
I remember him stating he could shake the earth to bits or dust with his oscillator machine and the story of it almost bringing down a building/lab, whether all true or not. Also the effects on people, “intense vibrations had a physiological effect on people nearby, which typically took the form of headaches, nausea, and uncontrollable bowel movements that sent them running for the nearest toilet.” Or as a South Park episode called it, The Brown Note. :rofl:

I believe it talked about the way his files were stolen and room and lab burned and being murdered also. I think conspiracy or even some proof is that the HARP device is based on his work also.

He was a peculiar person but one who was said to have honestly given himself to finding the means and was to bring the human race out of poverty and dependence to controlling corporations and governments. He saw the innate need, to live free, creative, productive lives. He was one of kind, but as you know, we all are.

Well crap. I thought I had read an article where they had a detector for dark matter. It only showed a hit every few days/weeks but I guess I was mistaken.

I had read this before. From a young age and seeing that every atom is mostly empty space made the idea of discovering dark matter quite interesting to me years ago. Like I mentioned above, I really thought there was a detector in use and accepted as reliable. Bummer.

1 Like