Any Devo fans paint their Energy Dome side-effects red like I'm planning on doing?

The only color they had in stock was green so I’m thinking of taking them to a powder-coat place to see if they can do it nicely.

I didn’t really think too much about this before ordering, but I only have one Onedrop yo-yo that might even be compatible. Can you put them on Fat Tires? If not, I guess it’s going on the MCMO.

4 Likes

i regretfully painted all of my devo hats to match my energy domes for a competition at a local town fair. devo was playing, and ignored me
as they walked off the stage at the end of their set, despite my fashionably colored hat and matching energy domes as i lively showed my talent

sometimes, things are meant to be left unchanged… and never meet your devos

4 Likes

If that’s a true story, you must be a legend!

2 Likes

i have been called a legend by legends themselves, but i cannot claim that myself

3 Likes

I’m through being cool.

2 Likes

Love it. I still have the question: Can side-effects go on the Fat Tire or other ODs like it with the little silver hubs?

The Fat Tire does take side effects. But not all One Drops do.

The easiest way to figure out which do is to visit the “Yoyos” section of their site. Each yoyo write-up describes the axle system of that yoyo, either “tapped” or “side effects.”

1 Like

Thanks. I looked at their site’s list of yoyos that take side effects and saw a couple of models missing so I figured that list wasn’t up to date. That’s great that they mention it on the individual pages.

1 Like

You don’t like the green?

Okay, well you and me can’t be friends then. :rage:

2 Likes

Did they ever make them in red? Id love me some Devo domes.

1 Like

They do, they have Red Energy Domes in stock right now, I think.

Nope! I was misreading something else. My bad!

I think that you would be better off taking them to an anodizer to get them properly anodized in red vs powder coating. It will look nicer, fit better and be more durable.

1 Like

lol I sure hope this came across as me just being silly…cause that’s how I meant it.

I’d love some photos if you end up doing this!

1 Like

It did. I think you’re knows as the green guy well enough that I got the joke. And I like all the colors, but Devo fandom demands red. @Xanadu is it possible to anodize red over green and have it work? Agreed that would be better though I think a powder coat gloss might match the shiny red of the plastic energy domes better.

1 Like

Whether powder coating or re-anodizing, the parts will first be stripped of the current ano to provide a fresh raw surface to work off of. Also, you will need to remove the axle and o-rings before. The axle is glued into one of the sides and it pretty hard to remove. I also recommend counting the number of exposed threads and writing this down before you take the axle out, that way when you set it again later, you can ensure that you have the alignment set the same as they did at the OD factory.

1 Like

Any OneDrop yoyo that uses the side-effects axle system (as opposed to a tapped axle) will be able to use any of the side effects that One Drop makes. They are all completely interchangeable, including the fat tire. Yes the list of “Compatible yo-yos” on the One Drop site is a bit outdated.
Edit:
More recent OneDrop models that use the Side Effects are:
Deep state
Legendary Terrarian
1to1
Fat Tire
Silhouette
Downbeat 20/20
Panorama
+
RSO Gravity (not made by OD but they liscensed the use of side effects)

1 Like

A cheaper option that you could try would be to lightly paint exposed side of the SEs with red nail polish. If it doesn’t work out, you could easily remove it with nail polish remover. - That would be my first try.

Also, just an FYI, I saw this on the Wikipedia article about energy domes: “ Though the traditional energy dome is red, several variants of the dome have existed. In 1981, Devo wore green energy domes while performing “Whip It” on the Solid Gold television show.”

1 Like

Thanks for all that info. I figured I’d need to take the o-rings off, but didn’t think the axle would be hard to remove. I just checked and it’s not glued in so I could still do the ano if the o-rings are easy enough to take out. Though, now that you mentioned needing to strip the old ano off, this might be more expensive than I want to deal with. I like your nail-polish idea, though! Hopefully we have some around here. I know we have some kids’ peel off nail polish, but I’ll try some real stuff when I do it. And if I don’t, I’ll just have to pretend they’re the Solid Gold editions, haha.

1 Like