Alleycat 650b response

This alleycat 650b has been getting a lot of love lately, as you can see.

It looks like the pink coreco pads are sold out everywhere. Has anyone had success on this yoyo with flowable silicone? Something else I should try instead?

2 Likes

You’ll need a .555 pad, the AlleyCat OG used Chaz Pads or Duncan Friction Stickers

2 Likes

Those pads don’t work for small bearing

1 Like

Thank you! Do you happen to know about the thickness as well?

The Dif-E-Yo pads come in .015" & .03" thickness, and the General-Yo has thick/thin (I’m guessing similar dimensions). Should I assume recessed and flush? Or is one the correct choice for the 650b?

EDIT: Thanks @yoyojoe! I guess it doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

.555 pads or 13.7mm are for small Duncan A bearings. The Chaz Pads came in the Kick Starter Weekenders while the new CoreCos were being restocked. Here is an article
about the OG Alleycat that originally used Duncan Stickers. The last run of OG Alleycats switched to the CoreCo pads prior to the 650B.

This was copied from the yoyowiki page on pads.

".555 pads are named because their inner diameter is .555 of an inch. .555 pads fit in large bearing yo-yos with a lip between the bearing and the pad. "

From that other YoYo Site with trick tutorials. From How to make your A bearing Drifter Unresposive;

" Thin .555 Silicone Brake Pads are perfect for unresponsive play. Silicone is an ideal material for getting tight binds, and the pads are thin enough that they will stay out of your way during string tricks. We include these pads in the Unresponsive Kits for the Luminator , the Metal Drifter, and the Freehand Yoyos"

These pads are thinner, than Duncan Stickers.

Metal drifter is a C sized bearing instead of A

Thicker is more responsive.

Not the original 2010 Drifter. That is the newer version from 2016 that comes with 19mm pads.

Chaz Pads

Gold Pure

A Pure with a Chaz Pad

Chaz Pads are an updated form of the Baz Pads. They are also made from Plasti-dip, but produced by Charles Schluer, not Bazmonkey. They come in the .555 size. These are no longer produced but were briefly revived in 2017 with an extra thick version for the Core Co Alleycat release.

Also from Wiki

Dif-e-Yo

IT2

An IT with a Dif Pad

Dif Pads

The Dif Pads by Dif-e-Yo are made of a rubber-like material, and were first introduced in August 2003. Although they come as standard in all Dif-e-Yo yo-yos from 2003 onwards, they are also often added to other yo-yos by yo-yoers to make them less responsive. They come in two different thicknesses: 0.015" and 0.03", referred to as ‘thin’ and ‘thick’ Dif Pads. Thick pads are more responsive than thin pads since they protrude farther into the gap. They come in both large and .555 sizes.

Last I checked Large Bearings were C bearings.

The alley cat is small bearing

Pulled form it’s yoyoexpert page

Bearing Size: Heavily Lubed Size A (5x10x4 mm

Small A bearing, yes it is. 0.555 pads are for small bearings

One needs 0.555 size Dif Pads for A bearing yoyos, that is what I have in several Freehands. If I want more response I use two 0.03". For unresponsive play one 0.015 Dif Pad does the trick.

I even once put a Core Co pad on a Freehand Zero.There is a hole thread dedicated to A bearings called A Sized Bearing YoYo Love (Small Bearings) - #73 by Exmime

I can’t tell if you’re just messing with me now.

1 Like

Before there were CoroCo Pads; Core Co put 0.555 Chaz Pads in the Alleycat

Chaz Pads

Gold Pure

A Pure with a Chaz Pad

Chaz Pads are an updated form of the Baz Pads. They are also made from Plasti-dip, but produced by Charles Schluer, not Bazmonkey. They come in the .555 size. These are no longer produced but were briefly revived in 2017 with an extra thick version for the Core Co Alleycat release.

I took a picture to make sure but here is a bazpad with a small bearing (A) in the center.

1 Like

You are in luck big restock of Duncan Friction stickers at YYE . 761 4 packs

Well I just ordered friction stickers, .555 thick diff-e-yo pads, and .555 thick textured general-yo pads. I’ll post back with the results… for science!

4 Likes

[quote=“Exmime, post:13, topic:325535, full:true”]
Small A bearing, yes it is. 0.555 pads are for small bearings

No, they are for “C” size bearings as yoyojoe notes.

1 Like

Here’s the .555 thick textured General Yo pads. The inner diameter was just a touch too big as you can see in the second picture. They’re thicker than the core co pads as well and protrude a bit.

The response is very snappy. I grease the bearing heavily, use YYSL Type X, and a single bearing wrap. Before, I had a bit of hesitation at the end of the string, that’s gone with these pads (at least while they’re fresh). A sleeper that isn’t true sounds like a starburst response, and dies very quickly, though :joy:

4 Likes