Afkor’s weekly 5a/1a trick log

Hello everyone. I’ve been consistently learning new 5a/1a tricks every day for the past week or so and I’d like to have a place to log all the tricks I’ve learned each day, I hope this is a good place to do it. (If this isn’t than someone pls lmk :+1::+1:) I also encourage anyone to use this thread to discuss tricks they’ve learned as well and maybe give me suggestions on what to learn next.

RULES:
I consider a trick “learned” when I’m able to do it 3 times in a row without failure.

Each new Yoyo trick learned unlocks for me 5 dollars of spending money to buy new yoyos with (I currently own 4 yoyos and I want more)

As I progress I doubt I will be able to learn more than 1 trick per day, if that. That’s okay!

Today I learned:
5a pinwheels
1 new 5a bind
1 new breakaway bind
2 new laceration style binds
Kamikaze whip (this took me a week to figure out, only got it down today)

EDIT: I’m changing this post to weekly updates as I don’t want to spam the forums. I will be editing my posts according to the new format

5 Likes

WEEK ONE

06-05-24- Late update, ended up having a late night throwing sesh with a buddy and learned some new tricks there.

Today I learned:
Drop trapeze (5a)
Crazy 8
Stop n go (super fun trick, wish I learned it earlier)
Skin the gerbil
Buddha’s revenge
Superflow

06-06-24- Learned one 5a trick and a couple of easy 1a tricks today:

Bee sting (5a, need to get smoother at it tho)
Boomerang
Pops
Zipper

06-07-24- Learned some new mounts and a couple GT tricks. Today was a busy day so I wasn’t able to learn any difficult tricks or 5a stuff:

Sub mount
Wrist mount
Snap GT
Chopstick/GT type move, here’s what it looks like:

06-08-24- Busy day today again but I found some time to sneak in a couple new tricks:

Wasabi GT(super fun, difficult trick. Surprised I was able to figure it out)
Cross Capture
Rewind

06-09-24- Super productive 5a day today. Took the yoyo outside in the grass and threw for about two hours. I also cut my string shorter which made it wayyy easier to do tricks lol. In doing so I learned:

Pendulum wrap
Reverse bee sting
Bee sting aerial

06-10-24- Only had time to learn one trick today as I was busy moving into my new apartment! Today I learned:

5a butterfly!

06-11-24- Learned three new 1a tricks today:

Breakaway laceration bind
Figure 8
Letter A

4 Likes

WEEK 2

06-13-24- Got a couple of tricks down today, nothing too crazy though. Today I learned:

1.5 hook
Cheese whip
Iron whip

06-14-24- Finally learned a couple tricks I was struggling with. Also working on a trick that will probably be a fun 5a element, maybe I’ll get it tomorrow. Today I learned:

Whip to 1.5
TMNT cafe
Hydrogen bomb

06-15-24- Learned some fun 5a tricks today:

Switch hand bind(5a)
Gravity whip(5a)
Ninja vanish(I’d learned Brent stole ages ago but never this trick. Got it figured out today)
Instant magic knot(super fun to play with for 5a)

06-16-24- Today I learned a bunch of mounts from Beverchaku’s 5a breakdowns series! Gonna try and learn some more tomorrow, but today I learned:

Under mount/switch under mount
Switch trapeze and his brother
5a Houdini mount

06-17-24- I learned three more mounts from beverchaku’s video today. The last one looks quite challenge but I’ll try and get it tomorrow.

Unrolling double or nothing
5a wrist mount
5a bucket mount

06-18-24- Only able to learn one trick today as it was my first day at work so I didn’t have much time and it was quite a difficult trick to learn IMO. It was the final trick in beverchaku’s 5a breakdowns episode on mounts, I’m glad I was able to get all of them in 3 days. Today I learned:

1.5 into unrolling double or nothing.

3 Likes

Week 3

06-19-24- So it turns out I skipped learning a ton of 5a fundamental tricks and just went straight into the hard stuff. I just found the playlist that Jake Elliot made and it’s got a bunch of beginner stuff that I just never bothered to learn. This might even fix my sloppy as heck bee sting. Today I learned:

Double on trapeze release
Triple on trapeze release
Double or nothing release

06-20-24- Continuing to relearn the basics of 5a. I now realize that my bee sting and reverse bee sting are both garbage and I will need to relearn them. However today I learned:

Basic stall
Half bee sting
Electric fan

06-21-24- Today I learned:
5a rebounds
Swipe double GT
Pop n fresh

06-22-24- Only had time for one trick today. Was busy getting the supplies to rebuild my string rig. I’m looking forward to spinning up some strings once more! Today I learned:

Revolutions

06-23-24- I fear that I’m running out of easy tricks to learn. Only able to learn one trick today:

Slack trapeze

06-24-24- Today I learned:

Branding (this trick kicked my ■■■, super fun to learn and execute though. Makes me feel like I’m good at yo-yoing when I do it.)

06-25-24- Only had time to master one trick today, but I experimented with a couple other difficult 5a tricks that I can hopefully learn over the next few days

Rolling inverted GT

3 Likes

Week 4

06-26-24- Only had about an hour to throw today. I think I’m officially out of easy tricks to learn. It’s gonna have to be only one trick a day from here on out if I wanna keep the streak alive. Today I learned:

Magic trick

06-27-24- Learned the basics of horizontal today. I kind of already knew this stuff but I never officially learned it until today, and now I can do it consistently and I know why and how it works. Today I learned:

Horizontal throw
Banana turnover
Horizontal trapeze
Horizontal Eli hops
Horizontal undermount
Horizontal bind

06-28-24- Tried learning a bunch of 5a moves today but I switched my pads out and now my Yoyo is too responsive, so I gotta break those in now. Anyways all I learned today was:

Reverse hook

06-29-24- I know I popped off today. I didn’t have any other choice, I needed to learn as many tricks as possible:

Vanish grind
Jade whip
Cross arm trapeze
Brent
Slackicide
Gentrified
Talon grind + bind

06-30-01- I’m actually so excited that I learned this trick, it feels so sick to do:

Horizontal skin the gerbil!

07-01-24- Stakes are a lot higher now. I didn’t care too much about my streak before but now I’m motivated to keep learning a new trick every day for the next month at least since it is One July on the yoyoexpert forums. Today I learned:

One handed grind bind

07-02-24- Came up with my own trick today where I catch the Yoyo as it’s coming up from a bind with my left hand and throw the counter weight around my left hand, then I karate chop the trick to send it back down and then bind it regularly. It’s a great trick to do after finishing a combo, and I’m calling it:

Bind interception and toss over

2 Likes

Week 5

07-03-24- Been trying to get this one for a bit, finally cracked it during my lunch break at work:

Tower stall (5a)

07-04-24- Learned this trick last minute today, almost lost the steak. But I got it down. Today I learned:

Dorito

07-05-24- Got two tricks down today. Both I’ve been trying to get for a while.

Prayer catch (5a)
Keymaker whip

07-06-24- I found and learned a trick from a video from a YouTuber called Throw. It was really easy to learn, the trick had no name but the name of the video was:

Easy speed Yoyo trick for noobs

07-07-24- this is the easiest trick I’ve ever learned, I literally haven’t failed it a single time yet:

Slingshot GT

07-08-24- Oops I learned too many tricks today:

Chopsticks tower
Chopsticks to double or nothing
Jump rope type bind
Kamikaze mount (me learning the kamikaze whip before the kamikaze mount)
5a pulldown bind
The DNA
Heart slack

07-09-24- Today I learned:

Kamikaze (had fun learning but took me like an hour to get it three times in a row)

1 Like

Week 6

07-10-24-Just barely kept my streak today, tried to learn underwater basket weaving for the longest time but I couldn’t get the last branding configuration situated. Instead I learned:

The slap bind (easily the coolest bind I know now)

07-11-24- Figured out the trick I was working on yesterday. Today I learned:

Underwater basket weaving

07-12-24- Today I learned:

Ghost bind

07-13-24- This one is sick:

Green Revolution

07-14-24- Learned another combo that makes me think I’m really good at yo-yoing now:

Chuck Norris’s Beard

07-15-24- Been trying to learn this trick over the past 3 days, only just got it today:

Electric triangle(5a)

07-16-24- Tried for the entire day to learn seismic slam. Eventually I gave up after my throw hand finger started to bruise. Instead I leaned:

Basic slack bind

Week 7

07-17-24- I did not learn a trick today. The trick that did me in was seismic slam, I couldn’t get the last whip consistent enough. There goes my learning streak. Oh well.

07-18-24- got it:

Seismic slam

07-19-24- Learned two tricks today in recompense of losing my streak:

Grind through a triangle
Reverse Brent stole

07-20-24- learned two tricks from a wired video called “26 levels of yo-yoing”, and worked on kamikaze 2 but I couldn’t get it today. Instead I learned:

Leg wrap trap
Zach Gormley neck trick

07-21-24 still working on kamikaze 2, but I didn’t have time to master it today since I had a 10 hour shift at work. Instead I learned:

Star to tower picture trick

07-22-24- learned a couple tricks today:
3D gyro flop
Vertical laceration bind
Arm stall bind

07-23-24- today I came up with a really cool variation on a trick I learned a couple weeks ago:

Under water basket weaving variation

Reserved for future updates