Advice to get someone to try yoyoing

Hey. A while ago I bought my brother a N12 to let him yoyo…he learned to bind but that’s all, he gave up after 2 days. He do not want me to teach him/learn anything. Any advices when you get people to try yoyoing?hehe

1 Like

Perhaps try to find things that yo-yo can help him in

1 Like

Honestly it needs to come from him. If he can’t generate enough interest on his own he probably won’t stick with it. Especially when starting out it can be just as frustrating as rewarding.

10 Likes

This. No one likes being jammed into a hobby. I love to throw and knit and play guitar, but my brother loves to draw and tinker with electronics. If either of us tried to get the other into our own hobbies it was always boring or a disaster.

5 Likes

Back in high school I thought that my music taste in metal was the greatest and tried to “convert” my friends into being interested. I never succeeded with anyone who didn’t already like it. Hobbies are the same; if you aren’t interested yourself, then you won’t be interested. If you throw a yoyo around someone and they dont actively form an interest, just consider them uninterested.

2 Likes

show them evan nagao’s 2018 us national freestyle

2 Likes

Exactly. If he’s not interested, don’t try to force him. This is a very niche hobby and it’s not for everyone. It’s not even for most people for that matter. Just let him do his thing and if he ever becomes interested then he can come too you.

1 Like

Essentially they have to take an interest. Without that nothing will happen.

1 Like

That was one of the videos that got me into yoyoing haha

Start subtle.
Hide a speaker and play sounds of a yo-yo in play in his bedroom at night. Time it so it stops right before his alarm, so he develops a negative association with lack of yo-yo.
Sneak and use his phone/computer/account to view YYE, so he gets ads in his browsing.
Hire cool looking people to yo-yo around where he hangs out.
Just normal stuff like that.

8 Likes

4 Likes

You either get it or ya don’t

1 Like

You could always go Tom Sawyer on him. In a subtle way, emphasize how much fun your having anytime you yoyo around him.

3 Likes

The only reason I yoyo in public is usually to try and get friends interested. I’ve given away about a dozen yoyos, and taught people a plethora of starter tricks tricks. The only advice I can give is to always be enthusiastic to help coach. Ultimately he’ll have to want to figure it out, but being available is one thing you could do to help prolong those moments of inspiration. My brother is the same way. He really wanted to get into it, but didn’t have the patience for it. He’ll throw a yoyo from time to time (usually whenever I get a new one, or want to show him something), but that’s the extent.

4 Likes