Advice please, First OD throw, Downbeat or MMC?

I’m itching for a new throw. I’ve been trying to be more careful with my throw selection, filling in where there are gaps. I’m relatively new and still finding myself, but I think I want an organic, specifically a side effect OD. This will be my first OD throw, and I’ve been looking at the downbeat and the MMC. I’ve never spent that much on a throw, so I’m a little shy and want to make absolutely sure I’m picking the right one. I’m also worried I’ll spend that much and be afraid of damaging the throw so I’ll never use it. Does anyone have any experiences to share with these two fine yoyos? Thoughts?

2 Likes

I havnt tried those, but i do have a Overture and i absolutely love it. I know its not a SE but i just had to say how incredible it is. A little cheaper too so you may not have fear of damaging it so bad.

Yeah I thought about that, and I took a long look at the gauntlet too, but I think I really want them side effects in my life.

I certainly dont blame you there. With my first OD i had the same thing in mind, thats how i landed on a Terrarian.

MMC Allday between those two.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought. I think I’m trying to save a buck, plus I like a heavy throw, but brass effects I think might make the Downbeat too much to handle. Does anyone know if you still get both side effects?

With the MMC you get two. The brass is at around 66g, the weight Mark intended the yoyo to play at.

1 Like

The MarkMont Classic is so good. Worth the price!

2 Likes

Yeah given the two in the title, it’s no contest: MMC.

2 Likes

MC is my vote for sure
(And it is “MC”)

Thanks all, I appreciate the responses. I always hear such good things about the MC*, does it really live up to the hype? PS. I just ordered it, been stressing about it for too long already

3 Likes

It’s a Cadillac :sunglasses:

Definitely lives up to the hype

1 Like

Only OD I currently have is the Benchmark 2016 O which is obviously organic AND has side effects. I absolutely LOVE it!

1 Like

Yeah…yeah…the MMC is the best choice w/side effects! But no side effects would be the Overture/Top Deck/Gauntlet/Mantis…without SE’s! So many good choices from OD!

1 Like

Yeah i agree. I took a long hard look at the gauntlet, it basically checked all my boxes except for the side effects. It’s on the short list of throws to score in the not too distant future, especially at that price point i can carry it around all day and not break a sweat.

1 Like

MMC was recently recommended to me, so I’ll go ahead and pass that recommendation onto you lol

1 Like

Yep, Downbeat is cool, but go with MMC first!

I actually love the Parlay even more, but would still say start with the MMC.

1 Like

After this post, I’ve been really loving on my Downbeat. It really is a great yo-yo. The Parlay, MMC, and DB, seem like a set. Even though the Parlay is a collab, and the DB doesn’t have an IGR, they all seem like variations on a theme to me. I’m super glad to have all three!

Still think the place to start is the MMC, but that not the place to stop. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The Gauntlet is nice too, but I don’t play it as much as the other three.

Ok I got it. It’s the new favorite. Thanks for the input. IMG_20181023_124121790

3 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it!