Advice for youngster

Have a 10 year old interested in getting started - very good at picking things up very fast learner and very skilled hand eye coordination. Looking for recommendations on starter yo-yo or kit - money’s no object

Thanks in advance

3 Likes

I’d recommend the recess first base or yoyofactory arrow to start with. They both come responsive and can be converted to unresponsive later when they are ready for it. Also get some extra strings!

3 Likes

My recommendation is either sOMEThING Premier if you can get one, they are about $24

Second choice would be either the First Base or the Wedge

As others have said, choose between the Recess First Base and the Yoyofactory Arrow (make them pick the one they think looks the coolest), and grab extra strings (10-Packs of kitty string are good).

3 Likes

Maybe some of the finger wrap stuff not sure what it’s called exactly, but it helps protect your finger from string burn and getting sore

Recess First Base is a solid first choice. Comes responsive out of the box, but includes an extra bearing to make it unresponsive. Would also recommend getting a package of bulk string.

loop 360 or 720 and loads of string.

A Spinstar is a good, comfortable starter yoyo for a kid who doesn’t yet know if they even like yoyoing.

If they stick with it to the point where they want to get into 1A style tricks (Brain Twister, Trapeze), then get them an Arrow which can start in responsive mode and then be switched to unresponsive should they ever decide they want to learn to bind and get more advanced.

I recommend the Arrow over the First Base only because its V shape better avoids having the string knock the yoyo off axis during play, which will be a big help to a beginner. The First Base is more organic, and will be a little harder to control until they acquire better plane management.

2 Likes

I’d say the wedge

1 Like

Spinstar and bulk string are probably as solid as you can get for a complete starter

Spinstar:

Bulk String:
Yotricks has 100 strings for 12$

and Yoyoexpert also has poly for 13$

You mentioned that they’re really good with their hands so they should be able to chew through YYE’s Beginner trick list here:

After that there are a ton of great choices that aren’t very expensive (sub 20$), many of which the others have mentioned.

Brief list: Yotricks Sage, Recess First Base, Yoyofactory Arrow, etc.

2 Likes

For my money I would probably either start with something with a wood or plastic axle and transition to a bearing yoyo, like start with YYF Spinstar or Go or Yomega fireball. The plastic transaxle starters are easy to start with, somewhat maintenance free and responsive so a new throwers just needs to give the throw a jerk and the yo returns as long as it is still sleeping. From there a maybe something like a Loop 360 or Replay responsive depending on the type of tricks he wants to learn. A big plus of the Replay is you can buy the yyf upgrade kit and move the same yoyo over to bind tricks. Other than that lots of string and lots of practice.

1 Like