Adventures in Cooking

6 Likes

Been cooking since I was three and could pull a chair up to the stove. Considered doing a YouTube channel, like YouTube needs another cooking channel. Enchilada pie is a favorite. Brownies are my most requested. I go through phases. Fried, crock pot, oven casseroles, etc… My favorite big meal is pot roast, and one that I really have down. 4 1/2 hours but man it falls apart. Also pretty decent at chicken and dumplings.

3 Likes

By def, this should not be.

2 Likes

I’m the primary cook in the house, which suits me well given my background cooking in a few different restaurants back in the day. Mostly quick and simple stuff because of time and money. Just whipped up a personal favorite: breakfast burritos. Potatoes, onions, seasoning of choice (one called BS this time), scrambled eggs, and cheese of choice prepared in pan, sour cream and homemade spiciness added (salsa on left, green hot sauce on right). Done in about 20 minutes, happy belly. Actually going to include this one in an upcoming blog post on quick and easy cooking tips (yes, the wife and I started a catch-all blog for fun).

7 Likes

Love breakfast burritos! Been doing these lately though. But not those fillings per se. :rofl:

6 Likes

My new grill has been getting plenty of use since the pandemic. I’ve been working on getting even grill marks

9 Likes

Nice table as well.

3 Likes

Some Derpy tapa’s… or Derby… :rofl: We got picture happy.

Sardines on toasted fresh French bread. Topped with roasted flavor bomb tomatoes, garlic cloves, & parsley. Drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Maldon finishing salt.

Edit: Maldon salt crystal macro try photo. This version was all fresh like a caprese salad on top of bread/sardines. Added serano peppers, raw onions, feta, red wine vinegar, sweet smoked paprika, fresh ground tri-pepper corn pepper.

7 Likes

My son baked this from scratch (the only thing not home made were the Oreos on top)

!

10 Likes

Esquites - Mexican street corn salad. More fun to put on the cob, but the salad was good too!

Edit: Another easy and delish side/snack! Baba Ganoush!

Smoky Baba Ganouj

This smokey dish was made for dipping!

Author The Bojon Gourmet

Ingredients

• 1 large globe eggplant, halved lengthwise (1 1/4 pounds)
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil, plus extra for serving
  • 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • juice of 1 - 1 1/2 lemons
  • small handful parsley leaves for garnish

Instructions

• Preheat the oven to 425º. Place the eggplant halves cut side down on a baking sheet and roast until very soft to the point of collapsing, about 30 minutes. Let cool until handleable, then scoop out the flesh, placing in a food processor. Add the garlic and tahini, and puree smooth. Add the olive oil, paprika, and the smaller amounts of salt and lemon. Puree, adding more salt or lemon to taste, if necessary. (Alternatively, you can mash the garlic and salt together to a paste in a mortar and pestle or with a fork on a cutting board. Mash everything together in a bowl, leaving it slightly chunky.)

• Chill for an hour or so if you have the time, to let the flavors meld. The garlic in particular will become more pronounced as it sits.

• To serve, mound the baba ganouj in a bowl, make a well with the back of a spoon, and drizzle with olive oil. Top with plenty of parsley and a few pinches of smoked paprika.

• The baba ganouj will keep, refrigerated, for at least several days.

10 Likes

I like food.

9 Likes

@Yo-yoislife I hope ginger bread houses count.
This is one that my executive chef and I did a couple of Christmases ago. It’s pretty detailed and 100% edible.

16 Likes

Obi-Wan: That’s no house…it’s a piece of art.
Han: It’s too edible to be art.
Luke: I have a very bad feeling about this.

But with all star wars nerding aside, that house is pretty epic. I have been staring at it for too long. There goes the rest of today, I’m just going to look at this.

3 Likes

Awesome, I wish i could find more pictures of it. The detail of this thing was crazy. I particularly like the chocolate mudslide and the racoon sledding down it.
Did i mention this took us over 2 weeks to complete. It was quite the Christmas display piece.

3 Likes

Anybody here ever been locked up? I had to throw this in here. The legendary “Pocket” as it’s called on the inside. So many different possible ingredients. The base being ramen noodles. After that anything else you can order from the jail commissary. Virtually your only option for a creative meal while serving your sentence. Ohh… also it’s cooked inside a bag with semi hot water placed inside your blanket “oven”.

9 Likes

Cross section please?? :joy:

4 Likes

I haven’t been, but my brother was before he passed, and he told me all about various things they would make, such as the ramen pocket and garbage bag wine.

3 Likes

This one is fairly simple consisting of ramen, cheese crackers pickle juice and pickled egg.

7 Likes

That cake is BA!

Ramen and sardines and cheese whiz were the last to go at the PX on ships. We tried it all mashed together. Very edible. Same with back country plain crackers. When your that hungry and beat, I swear, a plain cracker was the best tasting food I’ve ever eaten. Cheez whiz on Captain Crunch was actually good too.

I can’t believe I bought some Cheetos brand mac n cheese and it had no tiny pack of Cheetos to go on top! The horror, the horror.

4 Likes

Just a good old homemade hand tossed NY style pizza.

12 Likes