Add weight to a Recess First Base

I just recently got a First Base. I have to say, for the price, it’s pretty nice. I love the feel of it in my hand. I can see why people call it one of the best casual throws ever. Seems like it’s got just about everything going for it…except: I really wish it was just a liiiiittle bit heavier. Maybe I’m just a noob, but I can’t get any good extended combs without losing the spin. I’m wondering: Has anyone had success with adding some weight to one of these or something similar? Flowable silicone or maybe some weight rings? Curious if anyone has some tips. I honestly think if this thing was a gram or two heavier it might be right up there with my favorite metal throws.

2 Likes

I would say adding weight is a lost cause with that type of yoyo. The switch hitter is an improvement on the first base, and I would say get the metal cap one for sure to maximize the weight. I have the plastic cap one, and it definitely plays better than the first base. I have thought about sanding the catch zone one of it to see if it would be a little more forgiving if it bumps my hand during play.

I guess you could look for a joyride as well, it’s also the same shape, just metal.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input! The specs for the Switch Hitter look nice. Adding that to my radar.

What kind of string are you using?

I found that standard size nylon strings tend to be a little too thick for lighter throws. I had a One Drop Aitch stored away for a while because I thought the same thing about it: nice and light, fun, but low spin time.

When I eventually tried Big Red thin Golden Retriever string, I was blown away by how much it extended spin time. It brings the thickness back to standard, but still has nylon comfort and whippiness.

3 Likes

I’ve been stuck on only thick string and just recently put thin string on my Parallel and was blown away by the difference it made in the feel of the throw. I used to feel like thin strings were only for loopers but I’m changing my opinion.

It was changing up string thickness on Tops that gave me perspective on how the thin string changes the acceleration of the top during the throw. Also it changes how the top handles when you’re doing tricks. It seems it’s similar with yo-yos.

2 Likes

You could get some fat o-rings (3/16-1/4 in.) sized to fit the recess. If they don’t stay in place with a press fit tack them in with super glue.

1 Like

what recess? first base cup has a smooth indent down to a flat area. gluing rings on and hoping to get them aligned is a fool’s errand. i think this is a bad idea

1 Like

I stand corrected. I was basing that on the pictures in the store. It looks like a recess in those.

1 Like

Currently just threw on a standard MagicYoYo string I had from a pack. I’ve had a Nova String on it and I think an Original Throw string. All standard. I figured a Kitty Fat would not help. I may look into some thinner than standards.

I agree on this, and like @kaozmachine does, I keep a thin (standard) string on it which helps. Recessed (hey!) silicone response might help too. Could be a fun project to try to add weight without adding wobble, but would be easier to just pick up a metal yoyo with a similar profile to get more spin.

@kksimon posted a 3D printed yoyo here a few years ago with added ball bearings around the rim to add weight. Someone else had a design that I can’t find with hex screws placed similarly. A lathe might give you some more possibilities.

2 Likes

Ok, well too thick of a string doesn’t sound like the problem. I could recommend too ensure your bearing spins freely, and that your pads are flush, but maybe it is just that throw. I haven’t thrown one, so hard to say.

Going thinner than standard kitty shouldn’t be needed. Nylon is thicker by default. You’d still probably love nylon if you haven’t tried it.