A talk with Markmont about hip hop, redirects, and yo-yo history

This month’s episode of PopCast features one of my favorite players, Markmont. We talk about hip hop’s influence on the yo-yo community and he shares some of his favorite moves. As usual, thanks to all of my sponsors on Patreon, this episode took a lot of work and I couldn’t have done it without your support.
17 Likes

Mark is my hero!

4 Likes

@Markmont is the best :+1:t6:

4 Likes

Loved it. Of course smashed a knuckle quicly jumping right into some of his quick redirection concepts. But well worth it.

2 Likes

Those redirections make a trick look really cool!

2 Likes

If you haven’t watched this yet, you should.

The one with Steve is great too.

Love that all these guys have all been in it for a while but are still involved with yoyoing. It’s great to hear them discussing the past, present, and future along with demonstrating and breaking down some classic tricks and concepts.

BTW… there is a NYTimes podcast on music that is also called Popcast

5 Likes

Thanks so much, Beezy! That Steve Brown episode really got a lot more love than I was expecting. I’m glad since we stayed up till 4am to film it.

PopCast originally started back in 2008 or something like that, but spent the next ten years on hiatus. Since then a million other “popcasts” have sprung up on youtube and podcast form. Is that NYT good?

5 Likes

Hey thanks for doing what you do DocPop!

It’s true - quite a few “popcasts” out there, more than I realized. As the innovator, you don’t need to sweat it :wink: . The NYTimes one is really good, actually. Recent one with their critic Jon Caramanica hosting Noz to discuss Young Thug was kinda legendary for me. Worth checking for stuff on rap and pop.

3 Likes

Really appreciate all the kind words yall.

3 Likes