5AMay 2024 - Week 3

Nice job!! This style is pretty hard for me. I’ve always wanted to learn the Butterfly so I was excited to see it in here. I’ve gotten it, just working on consistency. It feels so nice to do. I think you can get that if you try. Something that helped me is before thinking about the counterweight, I get a consistent windmill going and adjust it where the counterweight string is just slightly shorter. Then I focus on positioning that counterweight close to the spinning windmill before releasing it. When the motion of the yo-yo is approaching 90 degrees on the way up, I gently toss the CW up and bingo. The nice thing about unresponsives is they give you that time to line things up. Keep at it bro.

4 Likes

Way to go bro!!! When you see people with skills like you and many others who have joined in here for 5a May. It’s hard to imagine them having difficulty learning a new trick, let alone having a nemesis. It’s awesome you defeated yours today!!

2 Likes

I honestly can’t believe I actually landed it. Next step up was doing a full swing before swinging the yoyo again. And I did also land that once or twice
Loads of practise ahead now.

4 Likes

TAW and Freeform. I was surprised at how quickly I picked up the TAW, Switch Stance. It looked super intimidating but only took me like a solid hour-ish of practice to land. I’m pretty consistently able to do the finger swap part now and my harder part is actually landing the weight back over my finger and into the undermount. Thanks @JeiCheetah for the solid tutorial!

13 Likes

I need to get to work learning these tricks

Whoof… Tired today, but I knew it’s now or never. Thankfully next week is last, 'cause I feel I lack too much of skill already. Again all entries

16 Likes

Cool finger spin! Need to try that :smile:

2 Likes

Lacking too much of the skill?? Lacking too much of the skill !!??
I don’t believe it!!:rofl::rofl:
It looks like you are crushing those tricks!!

3 Likes

Another ten minutes no longer…and I’d probably smoke my stuff and drink all my wine. This weeks tricks have got me ready to ramble on, but I know there’s just one thing I got to do:

Post this free form trick entry.

11 Likes

Saw Petr Kavka again do it in competition. Had to try :smile: but I feel you need a deep fingerspin dimple. Even with his signature yoyo I felt the wiggle and was afraid it will fall :smile:
@Slestak75 I think this week it’s visible a lot that I struggle :smile: at least it felt like that, e-fan with my 1A string length, still messed up the ending and dismount :rofl: and butterfly was a little problematic too, also don’t know how to catch and finish nicely :joy:

5 Likes

For a butterfly catch try to catch the counterweight and pull it straight similar to an EliHop and land in a trapeze.

3 Likes

You can also end in double or nothing. Check out rei iwakura in rewind YouTube channel.

3 Likes

I thought you nailed it, all looked very smooth to me! The freeform was awesome too, I wanted to do something like that but my skills are very lacking in the fingerspin department, haha. :slight_smile:

I am by no means a smooth player, especially in 5a, but that’s part of the fun, branching out into things I (and others) might not have done before previously, or tricks we might not currently know.

I think in general, it’s difficult as well because we KNOW how smooth some people can make the tricks look. My friends who see my videos who aren’t as into the yoyo hobby sometimes see my shakiest moves and they’re like “woahhhh, that’s awesome!” hahaha

All in all, great video!

2 Likes

What you lack in skill, you make up for it with your…

wait for it……

SKILL!!!

This lady is kicking all our butts in EVERY style and says, “lack of skill” :joy::joy::joy:

Girrrl, if you lack skill, I don’t even know what skill is.

3 Likes

@Yodaddyo That’s just a second style I show here, don’t exaggerate, haha. I’m the kind of person that’s always unhappy. Everything must be perfect, or it’s wrong for me :smile: and seeing you all land all the stuff easily makes me go harder on myself :smile:

@Son-of-Morris The helicopter thingy is just about the deep fingerspin dimple and small push so the CW doesn’t pull the yoyo off the finger. And yeah talking about laic friends, they are even amazed when I pinwheel with a dead yo :rofl:

Thanks @Kray @Georgekouts for the ideas, I’ll try. :v:

All in all thanks all for the kind words that I might not be that bad as I see myself :smile::smile:

7 Likes

You killin’ it sis! Don’t be too hard on yourself.

2 Likes

Hah I’m like this too about my tricks like I’m not sure if I’ve posted any tricks I’m completely happy with. :rofl:

4 Likes

One of my old painting profs gave me some advice that’s stuck with me for like a decade now.

“If you’re ever fully happy with something you make, then you should just quit. Because if you truly can’t find anything to improve on, then there’s simply nothing left to do.”

Being unhappy with your execution just means there’s always more room to grow and improve :triumph:

9 Likes

[took] a long time, took a long time, took a long lonely lonely lonely lonely time…and some of those cw hits on my knuckles hurt me to my soul (ooooh oooooh)….

But here’s Butterfly

12 Likes

Hi all! Here’s my Entry for Week 3.
Trick Ladder + Trick-a-Week + tower trick I accidentally came up with while practicing Switch Stance as FreeForm.

8 Likes