4A beginner

Hey everyone,

I would like to get into 4A but I’m not sure how to start properly. Is there something like a beginners guide? Or can somebody on here answer me a few questions? Like how long should tje string should be and would you recommend cleaning the bearing for a little less response?

Love. Tim

I can answer questions if you need them. There’s this video which I’d recommend watching, but I’m assuming you’ve already seen it.

String length is personal preference but shorter is much easier to control and generally preferred. You can just start at your belly button and experiment from there.

My other two recommendations would be to force yourself to get comfortable with quick winds as fast as possible. You’re going to need to restart your yoyo a ton, so less time spent winding the yoyo is just more time spent playing. And when you’re comfortable playing indoors, playing over hard surfaces is significantly more enjoyable. Your yoyos will actually bounce and you can catch them back on the string and bind them when you miss/drop the yoyo. Over grass or carpet the yoyo just hits the ground and dies so you have to actually restart the yoyo, and it makes practicing a lot more tedious.

If you’re having trouble with responsiveness while using a normal thickness string, that’s half a skill issue, and half 4A tricks and yoyo designs have kind of evolved depending on what you’re trying to do. Playing cleaner with shorter string and keeping everything more taut will prevent snagging, but these gaps are now really small because modern 4A tricks don’t care about string layering and want consistent clean laceration binds and powerful regens. There are yoyo designs out there more conducive to weird play, but as a beginner to the style I’d just ignore these at all. Your issue with snagging is just a matter of control and execution.

2 Likes

appreciate it. Thank yo so much :heart:

2 Likes