4️⃣🅰️ Everyday — (former 4️⃣🅰️ Offtober 2023)

May or may not have just accidentally broken a chandelier with an errant throw… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Repeater to practice my TH and NTH side recaptures. Still need to smooth out my NTH side recapture a lot because I have a bad habit of uncrossing my arms too fast after the recapture, and it kinda kills that big arcing scoop look that I think recaptures visually look best with.

5 Likes

The offtober fandom is dying, need more people to post some tricks :pleading_face:

I practiced my leg turns today and I need sooooo much more practice on these but they feel like an actual workout to keep your balance and not fall over.

5 Likes

Impressive! If I may ask, what yo-yo is that?

Japan Technology Trueno

I like it, but playing with kitty normal string makes the gap feel a bit slippy sometimes on open string binds, but I’m also a 4A noob so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I should probably swap to kitty fat, I think that’s what Bryan uses on his Truenos.

I want another one just cuz I really don’t like the color of this, black is kinda hard to see and and doesn’t stand out enough imo. I wish I had a yellow or white one instead.

1 Like

You inspired me to up my 5A game last year so i will aim to post something this month for 4A. Here we go!

3 Likes

I gotta buy an offstring for offtober, I sold my last offstring like 5 years ago lol. Wish Amulette pros were in stock. Will prob just get a Contrail.

Grinding 3a hard this month for Ante so idk how much practice Id get in this month but I do want to get back into 4a a bit.

@mable you should compete in all 5 divs like Josh, you did say you wanted to make ppl watch your yo-yo :grin:

4 Likes

Ok Last night i got comfortable playing indoors basic throw, catch, eli hop and barrel rolls, usually i only allow myself to throw 4A outside but my youngest is 5 and i don’t worry about waking sleeping babies anymore! my goals for this month are 4A basic whip and arm orbits. If i can add those to my arsenal i will be very pleased. Anyone else working on anything specific?

5 Likes

I’m kinda just working on a little of everything right now, I wanna be able to put together longer combos. Although the nice thing about 4A is so many of the elements feel really good to just do as repeaters.

Today I was really focused on practicing my regens and hit myself in the face one too many times to want to keep playing for today oops

6 Likes

I got some regen advice and I feel like I’ve already made some gains with them.

Trying to keep my TH lower and more static and letting the yoyo almost flip on its own, as if I was doing a loop. 4A regens are probably the biggest discomfort territory I’ve been putting off really working on until now. 4A snags just hurt so bad it almost gets in your mind and blocks you from wanting to work on regens. I feel like I’m finally starting to get some control though, they’re very weak still compared to my actual throws, but they feel controlled enough to where I know I won’t slam myself in the face or knuckles.

10 Likes

Trying to make my recaptures more interesting.

And intentionally choosing this clip because it’s a good reminder that for every success posted there’s hundreds and hundreds of failures. Real success only comes through repeated failures and learning/adapting/improving to overcome.

11 Likes

What’s everybody else learning or throwing? I know there’s more offstring fans on the forums, I didn’t intend to make this thread my personal 4A progress blog lol.

I’ve been trying to find another Trueno so I can have a yoyo with better visibility, and try learning some soloham. Somehow white and yellow Truenos all just disappeared though and I can’t find any for sale.

I’ve been eyeing up a couple random options I might buy new instead of praying for a BST Trueno in a good color to show up. The Ciel looks appealing since I had an Amulette in the past, I already own JT spacers, and my favorite players have all been using it.

The Anotogaster is a serious contender though, I’ve never tried a small bearing bearing offstring yoyo though and I like the available colors a lot. I just kinda worry that I might not be a fan of smaller bearings, they feel so different in 1A and needing to totally adjust my throws/binds/regens to accommodate a different bearing size with no gap width options seems kinda ehhhhh. I’m confident that the yoyo itself is absolutely awesome, but knowing a yoyo is great vs actually enjoying playing it yourself are two different things.

But maybe I just get a Submarine. It’s the cheapest option of the bunch, it comes with spacers for me to get a gap I know I’ll like, and Shotaro has some of the best and most creative 4A tricks around. It’s the most boring option though, so this would be the purely practical pick over a fun/exciting pick.

5 Likes

I’ve been attempting to get the basic toss & catch down for a LOOOOONG while now. For some reason, the yo-yo barely hops up, and even when I get it to properly hop, I always miss the catch.

1 Like

Seeing a video of what you’re doing would help. As just a general bit of advice I’d say how you intercept the string with your NTH during the throw is where the issue is. If the yoyo isn’t coming back to you and landing on the string you’re intercepting too late, and if the yoyo is just snagging and not leaving the string at all you’re intercepting too early.

It’s hard to say for certain without seeing what you’re doing though.

I think 4A is a really setup dependent style and requires a lot of compensation from the player to adjust to your specific setup. When I played @GTDropKnot’s Flight, he just watched me send the yoyo flying away from me on every throw for a bit until I managed to adjust my technique to compensate for the differences in the gap width and string thickness/length.

2 Likes

This helped a ton with catching to yo-yo on the string, but it wasn’t what I meant. You know the trick where after you catch the yoyo, you’d get it to pop off the string, and land on the string in the same way? That’s what I was referring to. Whenever I try, one of two things happens:

• The yoyo doesn’t land back on the string
  • The yoyo refuses to pop up

Do you have any tips on that? Or maybe I just misunderstood the advice.

Ohhh, sorry, is this the type of trick you’re referring to?

If so, to make the yoyo come off the string, you want to pull your TH and NTH away from each other. So you’re not really “hopping” the yoyo up, you’re just pulling the string apart which is giving the yoyo upwards momentum as the string is being pulled taut horizontally. And then when the yoyo is about to land back on the string, you want to bring your hands together a little bit to create some slack in the string to cushion the landing of the yoyo coming back down. If you keep your hands apart and the string tight as the yoyo lands back on it, the yoyo is just gonna bounce right off the string and onto the floor.

Choking up on the string a bit with your NTH can also help, instead of having your NTH at the very end of the string. The smaller the string segment, the easier is is to control.

4 Likes

Ah, perfect. This should work, thank you!

Taking my red trueño to the park later this morning. If I can catch a video of my basics I’ll post it up!

2 Likes

If I had the manual dexterity to even attempt this I’d be right there with you. But there are those who still appreciate you taking the mantle and leading the way. I’m sure others will come out once they figure it out. I’d like to imagine that there are several out there trying but haven’t quite made it to the video yet. But thank you for jumping in and turning this into your own personal bl…no…wait…that’s NOT what you’re doing, I forgot. Anyways, whatever it is that you ARE doing, thanks. :grin::grin:

4 Likes

Practicing a hook and some whips and it’s a good example of why I really don’t like playing outside over grass. Being able to drop the yoyo and pick it back up and keep playing on a bounce is so much nicer. Although it took a good amount of practice before I was comfortable enough with just throwing the yoyo to be able to play indoors without being an immediate danger to people/animals/objects around me lol.

Still just practicing my regens and open string binds as well, my open string bind especially needs a lot of work. So here’s the first clip I’ve posted this month of me getting slapped in the face with a yoyo lol. 4A makes me really glad I wear glasses.

5 Likes