2A Loopers pay it forward Hornets and Match

Here we go. I really like the Hornets.

3 Likes

I love when people post pictures of the stuff that travels with the yo-yos. Have fun looping.

1 Like

Yeah. Then you see the collection grow as it goes. :grin:

All packed up and ready to move on. I’m adding a Yo-yo Factory Go for an even larger representation of affordable loopers. It really isn’t bad. Not really mod-able though.

I will send the loopers on to the next person to post, ”I’ll take it,” here, in this this thread. DM’s don’t count, it needs to be in thread to keep everything fair (Continguous 48 states only, please). You will get these great throws to use and enjoy, completely free, for three weeks (give or take a few days)

HOWEVER! By accepting this throw, you also accept the responsibility of creating a similar post at the end of your three week period, as well as paying the shipping fees in sending it on to the next person.

3 Likes

Ill take it! :grin:
Just bought a pair of 720s to start learning with myself so this will be a fun comparison!

1 Like

There ya go. DM me your info and I’ll have them out tomorrow barring the unseen

2 Likes

I started on and was using a pair of GO!s with 720 axles and sunrise guts in them for a year until the starbursts gave out recently. Very moddable!

2 Likes

Well…yeah. I guess changing the axle would be the way. I didn’t go that far though. The one in here is just stock with the fat axle and plastic transaxle. But of course if someone along the way wishes to mod this one, feel free. It’s only a $6.00 yo-yo.

@abellia showed me on Discord that you can build a cheaper 720 with a pair of Go’s and parts.

2 Likes

I think I actually had that idea when I got it but abandoned it or more likely just forgot.

It was nice to get to try the Hornets. They do have a nice and unique feel to them. Thanks @Captrogers for this Pay it Forward. It’s on the way to the next stop.

2 Likes

Woohoo Mail Day!!
Not only did the PiF package arrive today, but my order from yoyo factory came 2 days early! Lots of looping this weekend :grin:

upload pic

3 Likes

Im loving these Hornets. Right now, even more than the 720s I just bought :sweat_smile: Definitely going to pick up a pair for myself sooner than later.
Im on the shorter side (5’6") so I did wind up shortening all the strings.

Still struggling to get more than 1 clean loop at a time. But now when I get frustrated, instead of switching styles I just pick up a different pair!

4 Likes

As Ive been throwing the hornets this morning I noticed one was rattling a lot at the end of the string. So I opened it up, the body just seemed loose so I just made sure it was snug. Now not rattling anymore but I cannot get it to sleep at all- unless I loosen it up again. It seems actively too loose and is rattling again but is throwing normal.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

One reason I don’t love the Hornets is I feel like I never put them back together the same way twice. When I’ve got them dialed in they’re great to throw.

Not sleeping at all could be a few things.

One thing to check before you go taking things apart is to remove and reseat the string on the bearing. It’s possible for a very small snag to make the throw not sleep. I usually open up the loop and make sure the string moves freely with a light sawing motion on the bearing.

After that, it’s possible that your gap is too tight. The Hornet comes stock with a shim under each spacer and some people remove one. You could check if both are still in there.

After that sometimes the halves aren’t perfectly straight and taking it apart would yield them a different half alignment and smoother gap.

Good luck!

Edit: if you want to remove anything on the axle side it’s easiest to remove the axle. Use a solid pair of pliers or a vice grip to do that.

2 Likes

Oh last one on this one. I don’t know what your experience level is but string torsion can also play a significant role in how responsive a looper is. Too tight yields more response, possibly including not sleeping. For loopers sidewinder is the preferred trick for adjusting torsion.

1 Like

Seems Keith covered what I would have said I would check if the shims are still in.

It’s also possible after a while of looping the string gets rough and needs to be replaced 2a goes through string pretty quick

1 Like

Here. Have some solidarity. I’ll play mine today too!

I just recently re-shimmed mine.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the tips!
I reseated the string and realigned the halves and it seems good now!

2 Likes

Ive enjoyed these so much I already bought my own pair of Hornets :sweat_smile:
So Im ready to move the kit along forward to whomever claims next

3 Likes