10-ball

so ever since I bought my od tenball from yye it has had random bouts of loudness and responsiveness. by loud I mean that it sounds like a rock is stuck inside. I’ve taken it apart and cleaned it but the problem still persists. Is this just a defective bearing?

It may be a lack of lubricant. I had the same problem, but I cleaned it in lighter fluid (let it soak for 10 minutes, dry for 15) then lubed it with yyj thin lubricant (1 drop of lube on a pin to 1 ball of the bearing, then spin it dry on a pen tip).
I can’t guarantee results, but that might help!
Good luck!

Thing is, It is lubed. Most of the time it runs very quiet and very smooth but every twenty minutes or so it will scream for a minute.

In addition to cleaning the bearing, I like to swab the bearing seats with a Q-tip or blast them with canned air, just in case there is grit or something in there that’s getting into the bearing.

What yoyo is the bearing currently in?

Does it do this if you skin it on a pin for a few seconds-minutes?

It’s in a gnarwhal. I am 100% sure its a problem in the bearing rather than my gnar. Lubed or unlubed the bearing has periods of absolute loudness and responsiveness. Yes, this also happens when not actually in the yoyo.

You guys do realize I’m not a beginner right? I know how to maintain bearings, just never had a tenball. I was wondering if my problem was common or a rare occurrence.

No one said you weren’t experienced. It’s like your on trial, we ask as many questions to find out what’s wrong.

Email: Contact@yoyoexpert.com, and tell them. He will most likely know or refund it for free :).

My ten ball did this. Huge pain. I never was able to solve it, so I just got a different bearing. I’m not a huge fan of tenballs

10 balls have tighter tolerances than most bearings, so smaller amounts of dust can have a larger effect on them.

I exclusively use 10 balls. I know exactly the problem that you’re having, and I suggest giving them a good paper clean, and then get a REALLY good wipe down of the bearing seat.

Takes a little effect but it really makes a difference.

Yeah, all my ten balls are like it. You will learn to love it… It’s like one of those spunky, unpredictable redhead girls that everyone learns to love :slight_smile:

When I clean a bearing I never settle for just soaking. That’s not going to get particles out. With whatever solvent you’re using, you’ve got to agitate the bearing. Then spin it out, which might shift some of the grit, and then back into the solvent for more agitating.

I had one bearing that I just couldn’t solve. Did the paper slip thing, then packed some Turtle Wax scratch and swirl remover into the bearing (on the recommendation of a YYE member… I had no idea if it would work but had nothing to lose). Moved the bearing around for a while. More polish. Then into a plastic tube (you can use any container you want, though) full of distilled water and shook the snot out of it. Replaced with clean water, shook the snot out of it some more. The water wasn’t cloudy at all, so into the solvent, this time not so worried about double-agitating (the polish and water should’ve done for any debris) but still shaking’er around a bit.

Let the solvent dry, small drop of thin lube, and that bearing has been perfect ever since.

As with all things, your mileage may vary. But when I have a problem bearing (ie. one round of my normal cleaning routine doesn’t help) I’m going to go right to this brute force method. It’s longer per application, but would save time vs. trying 3 or 4 times to clean and lube my bearing with low success.

Pretty sure it was a 10-ball.

Side note: I’ve found the Gen-Yo AIGR pretty much as smooth as the OD 10-ball (I like them both just fine), but since it’s an 8-ball it might have looser tolerances for debris…?