YYJ Classic Yay or Nay

Back when I ordered my Shutter someone in the chatroom recommended me to throw a YYJ Cllassic on the order before it shipped to my house, I ended up passing on it but I was looking to get one today. Has there been a better yoyo now that should make it’s way to my home instead of the classic? Or should I still incorporate a classic into my collection?

In my opinion, the Classic is the plastic that reigns supreme.

It plays just a well as a Diffusion at a fraction of the cost.

I even like it much more than the Shutter.

I was a bit disappointed with the Classic. I find it to be too big and oddly shaped. I also think it plays a bit sluggishly. Just my opinion of course.

If you want a non-responsive plastic, I recommend the Replay Pro a lot more. If you want a responsive plastic, I recommend the Freehand Zero a lot more.

I don’t think you could have described the the Classic any more inaccurately.

Too big? Its 58mm in diameter. Hardly big by today’s standards.

Oddly shaped? Not remotely.

Sluggish? It’s a very nimble 65g with a full sized bearing and silicone response.

I find it particularly interesting that you call the Classic ‘too big’ when it has the same diameter as the Replay Pro.

I don’t have calipers on me so I can’t take precise measurements. But I am looking at my Classic and Replay Pro side by side right now. The Classic has a bigger diameter but a smaller width than the Replay Pro. However, in my hand, the Classic feels awkward to me and the Replay Pro feels natural. Maybe, I just don’t like the Classic’s H-profile.

The Classic is lighter than the Replay Pro, but on the string, I feel like the Classic is slow and the Replay Pro is speedy.

Dimensions (height, width, and weight) do not capture how a yo-yo plays. It is all about shape (profile and weight distribution). I guess I just prefer the Replay Pro’s shape over the Classic’s.

On a positive note, I don’t regret buying a Classic. It is nice to have in my arsenal, but I would recommend adding a Freehand Zero and a Replay Pro into one’s arsenal before adding a Classic. Again, this is just my opinion. Do not take my comments as Gospel-truth.

I like the classic with wide bearing over the replay pro, but both are excellent throws. The replay has just a little bit to much gap width, to rim weight ratio. So it slides off the end end of the string, rather than rolling off. You have to have a forceful throw to get the same spin you can with a much more relaxed throw on the classic. However once you have that spin going it is easier to lose it on the classic. How a yoyo responds to binds, and acts when you throw it has a lot to do with how much I will like it.

Thanks everyone I’m going to take another look at the classic, as for the replay pro? There isn’t a colorway that satisfys me at this time that I wouldn’t have to import. (All my throws are green). And I do really want a diffusion but I prefer to stay away from things Japanese.

Yes, the YYJ Classic is absolutely worth adding to your collection. It’s worth its insanely inexpensive price tag and then some. One of the best-performing plastics I’ve had the pleasure of throwing. In my opinion, an unresponsive Classic outperforms a Replay Pro. If it were up to me, I’d certainly put the Classic on the Mount Rushmore of plastics.

Why do you want to stay away from things japanese? Anyways, I also recommend the Classic. It’s a great throw for 10 bucks.

Mostly because I’m from a largely white-japanese neighborhood where anything japanese is considered kawaii-desu

The Classic is a blast to play with if you switch out the thin responsive bearing with a full sized one. For $10 you get your money’s worth and more. Great build quality, spins long enough, fairly stable. I bought five of them because I couldn’t settle on just one colorway! If it’s not too late, you should definitely pick one up, especially now that YYJ is no longer going to be a thing and you may not get a chance later on unless you trade for one.

yay! A classic with a wide bearing and response pads is my all time favorite plastic. Its a very fun yoyo and very very smooth for a plastic yoyo. I find it’s hard to beat this yoyo at the price compared to the other plastic yoyos in its price range.

I enjoy my classic put a Centre trac in it and done silicone response plays great Def worth putting in one’s collection been thinking about grabbing the yye edition one