Yoyofficer Tusk Review

Yoyofficer Tusk Review

Yoyofficer are consistently releasing yoyos for the budget conscious who want excellent performance, and the Tusk is no exception.

The Tusk is Yoyofficer’s first full sized yoyo since the release of the Rave. When Hong and Ma designed it, they had in mind to make a comfortable and capable yoyo that feels great to use. Let’s see if they succeeded.

Weight: 66g
Diameter: 55.5mm
Width: 45.2mm
Gap width: 4.7mm

The Tusk has a large, thin rim curving down to a secondary floor with a tiny lip, curving down again to a flat hub. This kind of design is reminiscent of the OneDrop x CLYW Summit, except more curved with a lower secondary floor and no nub. As mentioned earlier, the profile displays an aggressive H-shape. If you were to see a cross section of one of the halves, it bears a similar shape to a tusk, hence the name.

In my opinion, the Tusk has some of the best acidwash and splash colours I’ve seen on a Yoyofficer throw in a while. There are a lot of options and all of them look great. The finish is the typical lightly blasted satin finish used on all of their yoyos. It’s good for grinds, but by no means the best.

The guts reveal the standard Yoyofficer affair; their 10 ball string centering bearing and black pads. The bearing is quiet and reliable, and the pads provide decent snappy binds. I’ve mentioned in my previous reviews that the black pads can cause some discolouration to light colored strings, but this has no effect on the play.

The interesting design pays off in providing interesting feel. For a yoyo that weighs in at 66g, it feels deceptively light and, dare I say it, ‘floaty’. It has a similar feeling to a yoyo with an inner rim due to the aluminium slightly thickening around the secondary floor to the hub. This means the yoyo can be easily pushed to move quickly when you want, but the medium weight ensures it can be played slowly and smoothly too. It’s stable enough to handle reasonably long combos. The only minor complaint I have is that it feels overly wide, and I find that this combined with the H-shape can sometimes get in the way of some more intricate tricks. Not a deal-breaker, and honestly, a better thrower may not experience this problem.

So, is the Tusk a capable and comfortable yoyo that feels good to use? Yes. Hong and Ma have been very successful in their endeavor. The Tusk offers a quality of feeling that makes it a delight to play as well as the great performance we’ve come to expect from Yoyofficer. Starting at $40 for acidwash colours, it’s a bargain too.

']YoYoExpert mobile app[/URL]

I have no idea why some of my photos are posting sideways… It’s annoying and looks terrible. :frowning:

If it helps you feel better, it took me a couple seconds to even realize it was sideways :wink:

Great review! I should pick one up…

I really think that you can go more in depth, maybe make a comparison, and tell more about how the yoyo feel at the end of the string, and put more about what you think and feel when throwing.

You did a great job though, with many room for improvement.

Great review.

The best word I can think of to describe it’s feeling at the end of the string is ‘smooth’. That’s definitely a strong impression the Tusk gives in general. Its width makes it feel a bit boxy to me during play which causes me to hold back a little because I’m afraid I’ll end in a tangled mess. I’m not a believer that wider is always better. I would have preferred it at 43mm. If you want a comparison, it feels a little like the Summit.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

1 Like