Yoyo Prices

Only the Hyperion could sell for $500 because it too raw.

I LOVE HUBSTACKS!! :slight_smile:

Juss sayin…

I agree Zorro, we’re all guilty of complaining to some extent. I actually pass on most releases. But, price is rarely the real reason, unless it’s just not the price I’m willing to pay for that particular item, considering what it has to offer. It doesn’t mean the yo-yo is not worth the price, it just means that I, personally, am not willing to pay it. The good thing is, there are those who will pass, but there are many who will buy.

When it comes to yo-yo prices, if I’m interested in the item, I’m willing to pay what it costs to have it. I think that paying retail for my yo-yos keeps the industry going, encourages new releases, different color runs, and it keeps my favorite yo-yo companies in business. I just view it as an investment in yo-yo…and I’m reaping some of the benefits.

If we drive prices down, and yo-yos are no longer as profitable, all these well educated businessmen running yo-yo companies, might find other ways of making money instead. I hope that buying more yo-yos encourages more yo-yos to be made in the future. Along those lines, I try to buy my share.

So, my advice is always…if you like the product, and you can afford to buy it, just pay the price. If you cannot afford to buy something, find something affordable to buy instead. There is something for everyone to afford in this hobby. No need to complain about yo-yos costing too much.

1 Like

This sits with complaining why Cadillac charges more, or Bentley… there are people willing to pay more for certain things… their reason being many things, status, desire, specific want, color, material preference, feel, or simply because you can. I bought a throw because it “looks cool”… I have 11, do I NEED them all, nope!

I’ve been in marketing for 15+ years and that’s what we do, we make something appealing. Works best when you make something people want, but having owned low, middle and high end throws, there are some noticeable differences with them. I am not talented enough as some of you to pull every ounce of advantage of the high end throws, but it’s nice to have one. I enjoy messing with it.

I drive a nice car, because I can afford it, there are WAY nicer cars, which I can’t afford. Live within your means and enjoy what you can. Overall, throws are not that expensive and most people can save enough to buy a $100 throw. Yoyo manufacturers are not multi-million dollar companies, well, maybe Duncan… but they are in this for the passion of the hobby. Just enjoy what you can, don’t worry about what other have and what they paid for it.

If you think this is crazy, get into guitars, talk about overpriced pieces of wood!

I agree with everything that berto and Totalartist said, but I’ll avoid quoting them to save space.

As has been alluded to, most yoyo companies aren’t big corporations, they’re just a guy or a bunch of guys trying to make a living. It’s all well and good saying “yoyos should be cheaper! I want to pay less money”, but these guys have to keep a roof over their heads and food in their (and their families) mouths somehow.

Do you want to be responsible for Paul Dang having to beg on the streets?! I know I don’t…

You’ve never heard of metador play?

sometimes, I hope people understand more about what you need in order to make a great yoyo.

Have people ever wonder the cost of a CAD program, the computer that you need to run it, the number of prototype you need, before you can even have a yoyo that play exactly the way you want.

Sometimes, its not only the cost to manufacture them, or the coat of anno, or even the material used.

sometimes, the manufacturer need to cover all the expenses they made on the first run, rarely even the run after.
and then, after the expenses is covered, it is unlikely for a manufacturer to lower the prices of the product. why? because the market is settled and nobody want to think that the yoyo has lower price because someone do something with it.

1 Like

I think yoyo prices are mostly fair. Anything around $100 seems okay, but these are well thought out throws that have had a lot of work put into the way they play & are designed.

When we start paying $150-200, aka YYR and Turning Point, then i just start asking why this much for an aluminum yoyo? Unless it can do something extra extra, its just way overpriced.

People like to complain. Why not find something yoyo related to complain about? ::slight_smile:

Seriously, I feel that most initial complaints that I’ve heard, are more an expression of frustration knowing that a yo is beyond, or close to beyond, one’s means. There are a few yoyos I do feel are overpriced but I don’t spend any time lamenting that fact.

1 Like

go buy a duncan imperial so you don’t have to worry about any of the modern yoyo enhancements that were once seen as gimmicks. enjoy.

Everything on Earth is worth a maximum of whatever the market will bear. Yoyos are among the cheapest hobbies that any child or adult could possibly take up. You only need one and there are many high performance low price point models. Premium products command a premium price. Welcome to the real world where not everyone can have everything.

1 Like

Actually had this conversation yesterday with a friend of mine. Guitars are even crazier because they roughly range from $50 to $50,000. Again you can pull off anything on a 50k guitar that you can on a $50 guitar. It won’t be as clear and crisp of a sound but that trasnlates the same with yoyos. You can buy a $10 yyj classic that plays nice but say you want to purchase a $150 clyw chief. You can and it will play nicer, and is more desirable.

One Word.

Benchmark.

I don’t actually have any but I want them all.

The Benchmarks are very high-end yoyos that can beat $80-100 yoyos easy. They only cost $60 which is the most fair price.

My friend, redneckyoyoer3826 (who has been absent for a while) has all three, and they beat his Shutter, SuperNova, Genesis, Glide, and more high-end throws. The Benchmarks are a great choice for yoyos.

Yoyos really shouldn’t even be priced higher than these, and this shows it.

Well not exactly, Onedrop explained how they were able to machine these for cheaper, so they are a bit of a rare case.

However I do agree about their quality. Getting a “made in the USA” yoyo with side effects and ODs amazing build quality for $60… is ridiculous.

Also… dem splash editions! bites lip

If you can make a yoyo a cheaper way, why in the world would you not? Is the OneDrop team the only smart company out there? Come on, give me a break.

If all yoyos were this price, companies would have to be restocking every week.

Wow with all the injustice and depravity in the world we choose to complain about yoyo prices.

But still it is a legitimate question. Its not like any company is raking in cash making yo-yos. The cost of CNC lathes is no where near cheap, CAD software runs in the thousands, trial and error is extremely expensive, bar stock high quality aluminum isn’t cheap either. I knew a guy who machined his own throws on his dads CNC lathe, and he burns through $500 worth of material for one model from all of the prototypes.

Why are yoyo prices high? Because we want more yoyos. Come on people, yoyo companies make them for a cost. They need profit, otherwise we get no new toys. They sell them to retailers like YYE for a markup of cost, because like I said, they need a profit. YYE also needs a profit, otherwise we wouldn’t have such awesome customer service and even this forum. They sell them at a markup of the original cost they bought them for.

So my point in my wall of text here is that yoyo prices are high because we want more jojoes and we want good quality. The price needs to be this high or else we can’t get that.

I’m sure you don’t have any bias at all.

From memory, the Benchmark range were cheaper to produce because the throws were all identical in terms of weight, diameter and width. So unless you want all throws from here on out to be almost identical in that regard, it’s not going to be possible.

Yuki

Benchmarks also had no splashes or engravings at that $60 price range. If I want bells and whistles, I don’t mind paying for them. But, I like having the option to pay for them…or not. That is pretty cool that we have those options available.